This lesson is part of bundled unit and if you have my Properties of Minerals Comprehensive Unit
, don't buy this product, you already have it! This lesson will fill your classroom with all the information you want your students to know about color, streak and hardness in minerals.
The guiding questions of this lesson is "How can you identify minerals based on the physical properties of color, streak and hardness?" This lesson goes in depth into the properties of color, streak and hardness. Students will understand why minerals produce a colored powder when dragged across a streak plate and how their streak colors are a more reliable identifier than a mineral’s color. The lesson also introduces Friedrich Mohs to the class and goes in depth into how a mineral’s hardness can be tested.
- 17 animated power point slides
- 5-E style lesson plan
- Student learning map / note taker
- Prioritize and Support: critical thinking activity
- Mohs Scale of Mineral Hardness: classifying activity
- Mineral Hardness: interactive notebook handout
- Streak Color in Minerals: student worksheet
I know you and your students will love this lesson! No materials necessary, although your classroom may benefit from having mineral samples and streak plates to use during this lesson. Enjoy!