Student-Centered Mineral Property and Identification Lesson
This interactive lesson keeps students engaged by allowing them to analyze actual minerals and work with their peers rather than taking traditional notes on this topic. Slides provide basic information and then prompt students to practice identifying minerals properties and gauge their own level of understanding. While working through the slides students create the Foldable Mineral Booklet; a reference for mineral properties and an opportunity for them to gain confidence before identifying larger groups of minerals independently. After learning and practicing mineral properties, students identify 12 mystery minerals in small groups. The lesson is laid out so that you just need to add your own mineral samples and identification tools!
- Foldable Mineral Booklet for Guided Note-making:Guides students through identifying the properties of the common minerals sulfur, feldspar and galena. Students learn about hardness, color, streak, luster, cleavage and fracture, and crystal geometry, Once they understand the basic principles, they identify each property for the 3 minerals (4 pages).
- Mineral Properties and Identification Slides: Clear and concise notes on minerals and their properties with many opportunities for students to check their understanding and practice determining the different mineral properties (27 slides).
- Mineral Identification Lab: 2 page handout for students to record the properties of each mineral they identify and their final mineral identification for 12 minerals.
- Common Mineral Identification Table: 2 page reference for students to use when identifying minerals.
- Directions and tips based on actual use in an Earth Science classroom.