Do you want to give your students a way to reflect on their reading, keep them accountable in their independent reading, and give them a means to recommend books to others? Whether your students are voracious or reluctant readers, "Mini Book Reviews" will add interest and accountability to their independent reading! The "mini" style is very short, sweet, and to the point - all while targeting key reading response skills.
The 18 different mini book review response forms cover the following topics:
- summarizing (2 options)
- expressing opinions (3 options)
- using persuasive writing (2 options)
- genres (2 options)
- all story elements (2 options)
- just the main character/narrator/point of view (2 options)
- just setting (1 option)
- author's purpose (2 options)
- what I learned (2 options)
This product includes all of the following:
- mini book review booklet covers (3 style choices, 3 pages total)
- mini book review booklet back cover (1 style choice, 1 page total)
- mini book review response forms (18 options, 18 pages total)
- optional template for keeping track of students' reading (3 pages total)
- optional binder and basket/bin labels, plus a directions page for how to use the product with your students (4 pages total)
Here's how to use the "Mini Book Reviews:"
1) Have your students decorate the covers and cut out. Laminate these for durability so they last all school year. Fasten with a brass brad.
2) Copy the mini book review forms, put them in page protector sleeves, and label your binder with the included binder cover. Store the binder on a bookshelf in your classroom where your students can easily access it, such as in your reading area. Go over your expectations for filling out the forms first. You will want to complete some practice ones together. Later, your students will be able to choose and complete their own forms as they finish books throughout the school year!
3) As your students complete their independent reading books, have them select a mini book review form of their choice, fill it out, and add it to their "Mini Book Reviews" booklet.They can conference with you to share their book reviews and to discuss with you for further accountability. Store your students' "Mini Book Reviews" booklets in a basket or bin so that classmates can read others' book reviews. This way, students can recommend books to one another...and also read others’ reviews to get recommendations for what book they could to read next!
Click on the green Preview tab to see some sample pages and see if the product would be a good fit!