Language Arts Presenter: MicroLesson 25 (see Additional Notes below)
Time required: 25-30 minutes
By the end of this MicroLesson, students will be able to...
• recall the definitions of simple and compound sentences.
• identify and distinguish dependent and independent clauses.
• identify the two parts of a complex sentence.
• recognize that dependent clauses may appear in any portion of a sentence.
• recognize the purpose of subordinate conjunctions.
• name at least six examples of subordinate conjunctions.
• identify the three parts of a compound-complex sentence.
• distinguish complex and compound-complex sentences.
• demonstrate mastery by correctly responding to 15 multiple choice questions.
Sentence Structure Part 2, Full Version comes with a word search and a crossword puzzle. Additionally, all "Free Trial" stamps have been removed.
With the presentation itself and both puzzles, an entire class period will be needed to complete all of the activities.
This application is one of the 30 MicroLessons available in the series, Language Arts Presenter.
Each MicroLesson features animated talking avatars who present instructional material to your language arts classes via a smart board or a digital projector.
In addition, these MicroLessons include...
• definitions and examples.
• direct instruction.
• a summary of the instruction (in most MicroLessons).
• practice quizzes ranging from 5 to 15 questions.
• an on-screen answer key.
• a word search and crossword puzzle to extend the mini lesson (the words found in the word search provide the word bank for the crossword puzzle).
Teachers report that during MicroLessons, they...
• appoint students to be mouse operators while they roam the classroom, keeping a wary eye on the knuckleheads.
• become dynamic partners with the avatars, giving additional examples of concepts, checking for comprehension, and reading questions and answer choices orally to the class.
• record scores, grade papers, or even work on lesson plans.
All of the mini lessons in the Language Arts Presenter series are accessible with any of the major web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. As a result, these apps are compatible with all versions of both Windows and Mac.
Mini Lesson 25: Sentence Structure Part 2, Full Version
by Chad Manis
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License