In this ten-day, Common Core aligned unit, students will develop a deep understanding of the speech genre
by investigating two famous speeches. After instruction on speech characteristics and purposes of speeches, students will closely read and analyze two speeches about incredible journeys. They’ll also develop skills in responding to analysis questions. Then, students will conduct mini-research projects on people who have also completed incredible journeys. Using a research guide, citation tracker, propaganda techniques, and a speech pre-write students will turn their research into an engaging and informative speech. Students will present their research to the class while classmates complete listening feedback forms.
This unit is the perfect combination of rigor and engagement. You’ll be so impressed with students’ presentations as they incorporate the speech elements from the mentor texts they analyzed as well as effectively share information from their research.
Common Core State Standards
- RI.1, RI.2, RI.4, RI.6, RI.8, RI.10
- L.2, L.3, L.6
- SL.3, SL.4, SL.6
- W.1, W.2, W.4, W.5, W.7, W.8, W.9
In this unit, students will...
- Develop understanding of the speech genre: characteristics of speeches, types of speeches, how to read and analyze speeches
- Cite textual evidence in analysis
- Draw inferences from the text
- Effectively respond to short answer questions
- Determine the author’s point of view and purpose
- Develop research skills
- Cite research sources
- Write persuasively including arguments and effective support
- Work with peers to improve and revise their writing
- Utilize strong presentation skills as they deliver their speeches
- Actively listen to and evaluate peers’ speeches
Mini-Research Project, Speech Analysis, and Speech Writing Unit Includes:
- Guided Notes: How to Read Speeches; Answering Short Answer Questions, Speech Types and Purposes
- Speeches: “The future doesn’t belong to the fainthearted” and “Life’s Journey”
- 10 Speech analysis tasks
- Speech Research Assignment and Guide
- Internet Research Guide
- Internet Citation Tracker
- Propaganda Techniques and Pre-Write
- Speech Writing: Putting It All Together
- Notes - Delivering a Speech
- Guided Speech Pre-Write
- Peer Feedback Form
Teacher and Instructional Resources for the Unit:
- Detailed Unit Plan with 10 Days of Lesson Plans
- 24 Incredible Journeys Research Topics (Examples: Neil Armstrong’s First Steps on the Moon, Louise A. Boyd's North Pole Flight, Stanley’s Search for Livingstone)
- Speech Rubric
- All Instructional and Student Work Keys
This unit is part of a Six-Week Incredible Journeys Multi-Unit Bundle Project
. In this project students study a short story about a dog’s journey to his owner, investigate Lewis and Clark’s journal entries, analyze speeches about journeys, research explorers, write speeches about incredible journeys, analyze journey poems, write poetry and reflect on their personal journey while actively meeting 38 Common Core State Standards.
Find out all about the Incredible Journeys Multi-Unit Bundle Here!
You may also like…
Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle - Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, and Making Predictions
Memoir Study and Writing Unit
"The Highwayman" Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction