This is a mini-unit called Seeing Songs, Hearing Pictures: a Contemporary Art/Literature Mini-Unit for Upper Elementary and Jr. High Students. This mini-unit is 4 class periods long, but could be extended to include other books. The Enduring Idea: Art isn’t just viewed. Art can be experienced. Art involves the senses in creating and communicating different ideas to different people.
Within this mini-unit, students will:
• Learn about non-traditional books and books as works of art
• Understand the concept of artistic metaphor
• Understand the concept of artistic ambiguity
• Learn about visually depicting an unseen experience
• Present a piece of visual art based on an unseen experience
This download includes the unit outline, teacher's notes, worksheet example, worksheet template and lesson rubrics.