This is a great set of activities to complement the story Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate. Miss Bindergarten sets up the classroom for the first day of school. She finishes just in time before the 26 students arrive at their new classroom. (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.) These projects are especially useful during those first days of school when you are working to establish procedures and routines.
Here are some of the special features of this unit:
• The activities are appropriate for children who are not yet reading.
• Easy Prep-You need provide only the book and a strip of paper for the story retelling headband.
• You can do these activities over several days or even do all of them on the first day of school-they are that easy to implement!
The 6 activities in this unit are:
• Build-A-Word Book with the focus word “the”
• Foldable Booklet
• Category Sort
• Pictures that start like “Bindergarten”
• Story Shapes
• Story Retelling Headband