This is a great set of activities to complement the story Miss Bindergarten Plans A Circus by Joseph Slate. Book Talk: Miss Bindergarten and her kindergarten class have a new plan-they want to put on a circus! As always, everyone is involved, from making costumes to rehearsing their acts and the music. There is a surprise final act-Miss Bindergarten on a unicycle juggling balls, cones and rings. She is so talented! (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.)
These projects are especially useful for establishing procedures and routines. They type of tasks included here are found in many other activities the children will be required to do throughout the year. Most importantly, it establishes connections to a memorable story!
Here are some of the special features of this unit:
• The activities are appropriate for children who are not yet reading as well as those who can.
• Easy Prep-You need provide only the book and a strip of paper for the story retelling headband.
• You can do these activities over several days or even do all of them in one day of school-they are that easy to implement!
The 6 activities in this unit are:
• Build-A-Word Book with the focus word “see”
• Foldable Booklet
• Category Sort
• Pictures that start like “juggle”
• Story Shapes
• Story Retelling Headband
Check out my category listings "Back to School" and "Miss Bindergarten" to find other great units for the start of the year!