Looking for a whole group/individual practice lesson that is more interactive than just a worksheet. Well here it is. This is a fun, active activity for students to practice their word problem and number sentence skills.
1. Give each student 5 cards. 1,3,5,7,9 or 2,4,6,8,10. The higher numbers are harder.
2. Students get in two circles facing each other. Each student should have one person facing them.
3. Start by the outside circle moving clockwise and the inside circle moving counter clockwise.
4. When music stops or teacher gives a cue (about 5-10 seconds) students stop and face the person closest to them.
5. Inside circle members choose a number that they want to solve. Then they choose number sentence or word problem.
6. The outside circle member gives them that card
7. Then it is the outside circle persons turn to choose.
8. Once each person has a card they solve their problem. Students may use manipulatives placed on the outside or the inside of the circle.
9. Students write their answer on the recording sheet and put manipulatives back.
10. When partner is finished give the card back.
11. Stand up and repeat steps 3-10 5 times or more if you have time.
12. Put up the key for students to check themselves. Then fill in the smile if they got it right and nothing/the frown if they need more practice.