Also included in
- Design a colony on Mars! Take your STEM or STEAM classroom or program to the next level with this in-depth engineering design STEM challenge. Students will apply scientific concepts, math skills, critical thinking, research, and engineering design to plan a long term habitat on Mars. This creative a$33.00$41.25Save $8.25
- Launch your students into STEM with these space-themed STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process. This mega bundle includes engaging STEM activities for space activities and design challenges all year long! Updated for distance learning with instructional videos and digital STE$145.72$182.15Save $36.43
Can you keep a team of colonists alive and happy on Mars? Students work in teams to complete the ultimate project-based learning STEM experience: planning a long-term settlement on Mars! These activities can be used as a companion to the Mars Colony Project, which provides handouts to guide students to brainstorm and plan design solutions for a Mars colony. This Mission to Mars Planning Game product dives deeper into possible colony solutions, adds an interactive and game-like planning tool, teaches about real-world NASA engineering solutions, and is useful for students with limited internet access.
Through game cards, students are introduced to real NASA technologies such as hydroponics, solar tents, MOXIE oxygen generator, and more! Students also learn about exciting current events in space exploration including the recent NASA Insight landing probe that reached the surface of Mars. As students read each game card, they debate the pros and cons of real technologies to support their own mission to Mars.
As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. This product is based on a 2 month long project-based design competition where students research and develop prototypes for a colony on Mars. Prototypes are built from recycled materials and presented to STEM professionals for judging. The depth of this project is dependent on the available time frame and classroom needs.
Students create colony teams and complete the Mission to Mars: Planning Game to determine design components of a colony on Mars. Students consider various design solutions on engineering systems (food, water, power, oxygen, communication, and science labs) and mental health considerations (social, hygiene, exercise, sleeping, and entertainment). For each system, students read background cards to weigh the pros and cons while staying within budget and power constraints and maximizing human happiness. Each solution card provides details that are based on real technologies being developed by NASA. Once the solutions are determined, students create a scale-model of a Mars colony to represent location and architectural components. Below are the different systems that teams will explore:
- Science Experiments
- Eating areas
Mars Colony STEM Project Includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Photos of colony prototypes and layouts for inspiration
- Mission to Mars Planning Game boards (with instructions to print on regular 8.5 x 11 paper)
- Mission to Mars Game Cards with real NASA technologies
- Mission to Mars Student Handouts
- Engineering Design Process posters
- NASA Mission to Mars Article
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥