Transform your classroom into a team of astronauts on a Mission to the Moon!
This STEM curriculum begins with Stage 1 team challenges that build teamwork and communication skills. Astronaut Alex then guides the class through Stage 2 engineering design challenges with each unit a progressively more complex design challenge as students arrive at and explore Moon. Units are aligned to science and math standards along with a different career focus and STEM word of the day such as teamwork, resilience, and leadership.
**Now updated to include a distance learning STEM curriculum with digital and printed STEM journals and instructional videos**
Overview: Through interactive sessions, students become a team of astronauts challenged to complete 10 missions centered around a Journey to the Moon. Each week, students will read a message from Astronaut Alex, who will introduce the activity, provide background context, and connect to a STEM career. Students will then engage in hands-on activities centered around the engineering design process.
Tested curriculum: 35 educators have implemented Launchpad with over 500 students in 40 schools!
- Meet the Crew: Team Challenges
- Astronaut Training: Moon Trivia Game + Astronaut Boot Engineering Challenge
- Get to Moon: Straw Rockets Engineering Challenge
- Welcome Tower*: Tower Engineering Challenge
- Build a Base: UV Science Experiment + Shelter Engineering Challenge
- Stay Alive*: Grow a Real Plant Device Engineering Challenge
- Collect Samples: Grabber Engineering Challenge
- Build Rover: Conductivity Science Experiment + Bristlebot Engineering Challenge
- Entertainment on Moon: Roller coaster Engineering Challenge
- Mission Success: Coke Mentos Geyser + Atomic Slime (and STEM Careers Bingo)
Need a middle school STEM curriculum? Find Middle School Launchpad here.
*Prefer a Mars version? Find Mission to Mars here. Except for *starred activities, most challenges are similar between Mars and Moon versions. We use both Moon and Mars versions with the same group of students, but they are implemented a year apart.
- The digital version includes Google Slide handouts and instructional videos
- Intro to STEM Education
- 10 STEM Missions following a storyline
- Supply list with links
- Alignment to NGSS and TEKS (Texas)
- Step-by-step teacher guide with photos
- Student mission sheets with real-world connections and photos
Bring Space Club to your school! If you are interested in a space-themed curriculum, check out our Space Club missions that connect students from around the world! In partnership with NASA, Vivify STEM runs semester-long space missions that include engineering design challenges, weekly career chats, a live leaderboard,
career chats with astronauts and engineers, and a chance to win robots and telescopes! From afterschool clubs to STEM classes, teachers can implement Space Club either in-person or through distance learning. Click here to register or apply for a grant.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥