Integrating English Language Arts and Fine Art is wonderful way to increase student literacy. In this lesson students create a piece of artwork based on the "Where I'm From" poem template. In this lesson they will learn to match up visual elements and emotions to create a piece of art with meaning.
I am an art teacher so the main focus of this lesson is on visual literacy but it would also be great for an AP Language Arts class. I taught this for the first time last semester and they came out amazing, but be prepared for some pretty deep stuff. This lesson requires higher level thinking and a basic understanding of the elements and principles of art.
• 6 Page Lesson Plan with National Standards for Visual Arts and Common Core Standards for English Language Arts; Big idea, Essential questions, Objectives, Instructional Materials, Supplies and detailed process. Also included are Resource links, vocabulary and rubric. All editable.
• 36 page powerpoint (editable)
• "Where I'm From" poem template (editable Word document)
• Graphic organizer PDF worksheet (helps students identify emotions in poems and match those emotions to colors, lines and objects.)
• Line and Emotion PDF worksheet
• Student self-evaluation (Editable Word document)
• Powerpoint includes short review of emotion of line, color match-up and uses student examples to review emphasis
• Link to a video of me demonstrating a credit card scrape technique using acrylic paint for background
• Examples of student artwork including background, poems, and final art.
• Materials list
• Assessment guidelines
If you like this lesson check out my other ELA integrated lessons here:
Found Poetry Lesson
Hand Self-Portrait Lesson
Inner Gremlin Video Lesson
National Visual Arts Standards:
• Anchor Standards:
Anchor Standard #1. Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work.
Anchor Standard #2. Organize and develop artistic ideas and work.
Anchor Standard #3. Refine and complete artistic work.
Anchor Standard #8. Interpret intent and meaning in artistic work.
Anchor Standard #10. Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make art.
Anchor Standard #5. Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation.
• High School Standards:
VA:Cr1.1.HSI Use multiple approaches to begin creative endeavors.
VA:Cr1.2.HSI Shape an artistic investigation of an aspect of present-day life using a contemporary practice of art or design.
VA:Cr2.2.HSI Explain how traditional and non-traditional materials may impact human health and the environment and demonstrate safe handling of materials, tools, and equipment.
VA:Cr3.1.HSII Engage in constructive critique with peers, then reflect on, re-engage, revise, and refine works of art and design in response to personal artistic vision.
VA:Re8.1.HSI Interpret an artwork or collection of works, supported by relevant and sufficient evidence found in the work and its various contexts.
VA:Cn10.1.HSI Document the process of developing ideas from early stages to fully elaborated ideas.
VA:Pr5.1.HSI Analyze and evaluate the reasons and ways an exhibition is presented.