Mixtures – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (mixture, suspension, solution, solvent, solute, solubility, and filtration).
• Introduction to mixtures (heterogeneous and homogeneous)
• Understanding suspensions and solutions
• Explanation of solutions, solvents, and solutes
• Principles of solubility
• Ways to separate mixtures (magnetism, flotation, filtration, and solubility)
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• The first activity is a fun project-type activity where the students are given a four-object mixture. Each component of the mixture has different properties. The students will create and describe a machine or contraption that will separate the items based on the four ways that mixtures can be separated. The steps need to be described as well. An example is shown.
• The second activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: mixture, suspension, solution, solvent, solute, solubility, magnetism, flotation, and filtration