This "Mock Congress" takes a current hot constitutional issue and creates a role-playing game on the legislative process. Students play a congressman, senator or Vice President and decide between protecting Americans' privacy/civil liberties and terrorism prevention.
Designed for classes of 18 or more, students learn the legislative process cooperatively, engage in public speaking and persuasive writing (a 3-minute speech) and – last but not least – study a key part of the U.S. Bill of Rights.
The "Mock Congress" takes four class periods to complete (plus a preparatory period), and includes all the materials needed to run the Congress. Included materials:
* 18 individualized profile sheets
* Background information on NSA surveillance
* Graphic organizer for assigned roles
* Graphic organizer with word-for-word format on how to run committee meetings and floor debate
* Sample rubrics for 3-minute speeches and participation
* Socratic seminar questions for students observing speeches/committee hearings
* Maps to various educational standards
* Sample follow-up quiz on the legislative process
* Teacher instructions and preparation period suggestions
51 pages total.