Mock Congress for class of 17 or more students
This “Mock Congress” teaches -- through a role-playing game -- the entire legislative process from beginning to end, including how it works both in theory and reality. It also stresses public speaking and persuasive writing.
The scenario drawn for this Mock Congress is that the military has asked Congress to replace the existing V-22 Osprey troop carriers and congressmen must choose between two different next-generation troop carrier aircraft.
* 15 detailed character profiles for U.S. House and Senate members
* Graphic organizer for the legislative process (which includes step-by-step student instructions, including scripts for basic parliamentary formalities.)
* Background information on proposed weapons systems
* Sample legislation and an amendment template
* Vocabulary list and sample quiz on legislative process
* Map to Mass. State Social Studies Standards and Common Core Standards
I've included elements of a Socratic seminar that help to provide legitimacy to the audience of the student speakers, and to provide peer-led feedback on student speeches. This role-playing game is optimally designed for 17 or more students, though it can be done with as few as 13 (instructions for small classes are included).