An Animal Aesop’s Fable – Ant And Duck – Reading for ELLs, can be used in a variety of ways to complement your existing ELD curriculum. There are ten reproducible pages for classroom use that focus on ELD vocabulary, language, speaking, reading, listening development, sequencing story events, role-playing a story, and retelling key story details. Each reproducible worksheet includes teacher directions at the bottom of the page.
Also included are vocabulary charts that you can use when you plan your lessons. There are two teacher preparation pages which include: an overview, a story synopsis, story objectives, vocabulary and language objectives, reading objectives, vocabulary charts, which include: key story and key classroom connection vocabulary, key language: (nouns, verbs, adverbs/interjections/modals/pronouns, and suggested language frames.)
The classroom connections for this story are Language Arts – modals: can/can’t, and Science – animals that can swim. Children will use and learn additional vocabulary and talk about animals/items that can/can’t swim.
Beginning and intermediate English Language Learners in Grades K-2 should enjoy the work sheets and activities. Their communication skills will be enhanced as they are guided through the lessons and practice reading strategies, reading a story, sequencing story events, and retelling key story details.
Student Reproducible Pages Include:
1) Directions at the bottom of the page for ease of presentation
2) Activities are included in the directions to make the presentation
fun and meaningful
3) An opening story illustration page to help you preview the story
4) Two story pages that include the text and illustrations (parts one
and parts two)
5) Flash Cards which focus on key story and classroom connection
vocabulary (2 pages – 12 flash cards)
6) Vocabulary Assessment Worksheet
7) Story Comprehension Worksheet (cut and past activity)
8) Make-A-2-Fold Book about the story – worksheet
9) Classroom Connection Worksheet (modals – can/can’t and
science – animals that can swim)
10) An application page that allows students to draw and/or write
what they have learned about the story, Ant And Duck
Please adhere to all copyright laws. Use of this product, beyond classroom use for students, is prohibited. Please contact me if you wish to use this product for other purposes, as this is a violation of the intended copyright. Please note that multiple licenses are available at a reduced cost.