This simulation has been one of my favorite activities in my freshmen Geography class. Freshmen are typically an energetic bunch, but they really stepped it up with this simulation. They wrote fantastic short essays, presented their resolution ideas, and dressed professionally.
Best of all, they had to use critical thinking skills while debating one another over the summit's chosen global dilemmas.
This activity and handout includes the following:
1. UN Simulation and Essay overview
2. Resolution ideas are provided to students, and they will need to pick two issues to research.
3. Essay: there are paragraph-by-paragraph instructions regarding the writing of the 3-5 page essay.
4. On the day of the summit, the essay is due. Instructions for how to conduct the General Assembly meeting are included in the handout as well.
5. Rubrics: there is a rubric for the essay and a rubric for the delegate comments (each delegate is required to make 2-3 comments throughout the proceedings). These two rubrics combine together for 75 total points, but you can modify the point system if you would like.
6. Optional: there are two comical video clips about the UN that you may want to use to "hook" your students early on.
Modifications: this assignment was originally created for 9th graders. However, it can be easily adapted to use for lower levels as well.
This product is licensed for use in one classroom. For additional discounted licenses if the product will be used in more than one classroom, please click on "Buy Multiple Licenses." Thank you for your interest in my store!