Are you looking for a biography study? Doing research? Writing a report? Then look no further! This project is all of the above…and more!!!
I created this project to focus on reading, analyzing, and synthesizing biographical texts while meeting the demands and rigor of Common Core Standards. The project blends learning about individuals from the past with current lifestyles and trends, a combo guaranteed to result in dramatically heightened student engagement and enthusiasm. Students will read critically and complete an in-depth analysis of their individual in order to present an accurate and complete visual to their peers. The final project incorporates current trends in social media (selfies and hashtagging) along with written elements to creative a holistic picture of the individual.
Because this project addresses so many standards the options for use are endless. This project could be a genre study as part of your core curriculum, could be used in collaboration with your library media specialist, to teach researching strategies, to study informational text close reading strategies, in small group instruction, as a book report, in gifted education, etc. It’s geared specifically to grades 3-6, but could definitely be modified for higher readers in primary grades or any middle school class.
Standards addressed in this project are:
Reading Informational Text:
- RIT1: Refer to details and examples…when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences…
- RIT9: Integrate information from two texts…in order to write or speak about the subject.
- RIT10: Read and comprehend informational texts…
- RF4: Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension. (grades 3-5)
- W2:Write informative/explanatory texts…
- W4: Write clear and appropriate writing…appropriate to the task, purpose, & audience.
- W8: Recall relevant information…; take notes and categorize information, and provide a list of sources.
Speaking and Listening:
- SL4: Report on a topic…using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, …
- SL5: Add…visual displays to presentations…to enhance the development of a main idea or theme.
Language standards and W.6 (publishing via word processing) may also be addressed per teacher choice.
In the project I have included:
- Complete description of all elements of the project and directions for use.
- Detailed Common Core alignment for Grades 3-6.
- Student templates:
- graphic organizer for recording and organizing research
- drafting template
- publishing templates for timeline and written summary
- hashtag writing guide
- student checklist
- Common Core aligned rubrics / checklists for grading
Keywords: biography, modern literature, research, report, writing in response to reading, book report, genre study, summarizing, high level thinking