Modern Masters introduces children to the wonderful world of Van Gogh, Cézanne, Chagall and Matisse. Using famous paintings to understand the artist's styles, children reproduce their own paintings. These lessons are classic examples of how mixing art history with simple techniques can create the most beautiful works of art that every parent will want to frame!
The booklet features two techniques that are an art teacher's best friend: double-loading painting technique and creating value with chalk pastel. Both techniques feature full photo-tutorials.
Features the work of...
- Van Gogh and Irises
- Henri Matisse and Purple Robe with Anemones
- Marc Chagall and Drawing a Dream
- Paul Cezanne and his still life paintings
The 35-page booklet is perfect for grades 3-6 and includes:
- An introduction to each artist and their paintings
- Detailed steps to draw and paint in a student-created photo-tutorial (no adult art here!)
- Handouts to assist the novice teacher or self-guided student. The handouts include: How to Draw an Iris, Irises Coloring Page/Drawing Guide, How to Draw Matisse's Purple Robe, Chagall's Surrealism Drawing Guide
- Student Gallery
- Literature Connection
- New! National Core Art Standards Checklist
While these lessons can be taught with the use of a drawing handout, the lesson on Cézanne and Van Gogh focuses on observational skills. Use whatever you have around your house to set up a still life and watch the students delight in drawing what they see. All of the lessons can be completed in only two 50-minute classes. I was surprised at how quickly the students completed the projects. That's the benefits of chalk and tempera paint!
A NOTE ABOUT PRINTING THE FILE
I like to print out my lesson plans and place in a lesson plan book, but if you are watchful of your ink supply, you may just want to print just the handouts. I've designed them in black and white so you can photocopy them easily and cheaply.
Related ProductsHenri Matisse Art Poster
Paul Cézanne Art Poster
Van Gogh Art Poster
About Deep Space Sparkle
Thanks so much for considering Deep Space Sparkle for your art lesson needs. I have been teaching art in California for 13 years and offering PDF lesson plans, e-courses and videos for seven years through my website, Deep Space Sparkle
Are you a Sparkler?
This lesson is included in our Sparklers Membership. This is one of the many bundles you have access to as a member of The Sparkler's Club.
JOIN THE WAITLIST
You can subscribe to my free DSS Newsletter
or follow DSS on Instagram
Share your photos with #deepspacesparkle.