Attention! This packet contains material beyond the scope of the movie. It introduces nuance and context for this fantastic universe within the realm of mythic storytelling.
The "Hero's Journey" is a mono-myth, one that transcends all cultures. Every country, every Continent has myths such as this one.
The Empire Strikes Back Hyperspace Pack will be used in conjunction with the showing of Star Wars - Episode Five, The Empire Strikes Back. Not only do we learn the characters, but discuss their allegiances, motivations, and the influence of good and evil. There is a special unit on the Bounty hunters. Lastly, we further explore the 'Hero's Journey,' searching for home. The timeless and universal story is integral to students' lives and conceptions of the world around them.
- vocabulary, character identification, and general comprehension,
- Original reading and text, background and insight into the Bounty Hunters
- Character analysis of hunters, reflective writing and class sharing exercises
- movie quotes, isolated, developed for meaning
- creative element to explore students’ own version of hunters, sketching, journaling, reflection
- mapping and discussion of the Hero's Journey, as recognized by kids, adults, historians, scholars and space travelers throughout our galaxy
It is a fun way to introduce and explore, not only an iconic movie, but to tie together the threads of stories, new and ancient, throughout our cultures.
I'm assuming about 15-20m. of movie and 20-30m. of class activity per day. The pace depends on you. There is a tremendous amount of material here, and plenty of room for guided writing, homework or journaling.
As for Common Core. This certainly covers all Common Core writing from grade 5-6, likely higher levels as well. There is certainly challenging and advanced material here.
Some sections will be a challenge to native speakers, yet still useful for intermediate to advanced EFL learners. If you need the WORD files, message me, and I'll email them to you.