I created this product to use in my own classroom. Many of my students are able to decode but struggle with their comprehension and expressive skills. Throughout this 5 day instruction, students will re-read the same passage multiple times.
Students will be given the text in various formats and as the week goes on, visual supports will decrease. By the end of the week, students will be reading the same passage but without any visuals. The text will “look” more age appropriate by day 5.
Included in this pack, you will find a brief 5 day lesson plan, various formats of the passage, comprehension and vocabulary worksheets as well as a day 5 assessment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any point. I hope this is helpful with your special learners.
- Introduce Vocabulary. Discuss words using communication boards, students can draw a picture or write a definition into the vocabulary boxes
Shared Reading of 9 page passage with visuals
- Answer “WH” Questions Multiple Choice. Teacher reads aloud questions, students answer independently, teacher records scores
- Review Vocabulary
- Shared Reading of the passage without visuals aides.
- Answer “Wh” questions (written responses)
- Shared Reading of Passage without visuals
- Students independently read passage 2 times
- Students complete sequence activity
- Shared Reading of long passage
- Students independently read 2 page passage without visuals, allow students to record their reading for fluency (use ipad app to record reading)
- Problem Solution Multiple Choice Worksheet
- While assessments are completed, students independently complete written response worksheet