Modified Special Ed. CRQ Sets Global Studies 9 No. 1 **NEW REGENTS STYLE**
This product contains 8 sets (pairs) of MODIFIED constructed response question pairs (CRQ) for New York State Global History and Geography Regents, topics 9.2 and 9.3 of the Social Studies Frameworks (Belief Systems and Classical Civilizations). I have my 9th and 10th graders do 2 sets of these at the end of every topic so they can develop the social studies sills. These modified versions, translated down to a 4th-5th grade reading level, are an absolute necessity for a portion of my class in any given year depending on their reading ability.
These CRQ are designed with the struggling reader in mind. Now I can teach how to write constructed response Regents responses and eliminate reading comprehension as a variable. These were designed with the special education student in mind, but they are useful for anyone in training to do this new kind of question.
Readings have been rewritten to a Lexile level of around 700-900. Original text is in the teacher edition. Student edition only has the translation. NOTE: If you have purchased my CRQ products already, you may already have the originals.
The assessments were designed following the instructions at the New York State Education Department web site: https://www.engageny.org/resource/regents-exam-global-history-and-geography-ii
These are questions such as will appear on part II of the new Regents Exam to begin in 2019. I am creating these for my students because there are no old exams to use for Regents review for this new examination. This is a very unique product and VERY time consuming to create, so it has been priced accordingly.
Constructed response question sets consist of a pair of documents with three questions. Question 1 addresses the historical or geographic context of document 1. Question 2 addresses the reliability of document 2 based on internal factors. Question 3 asks the student to use both documents to examine cause-effect relationships, compare-contrast analyses, or a turning point.
The question sets are in DOCX (Word) format. There is a teacher version and a student version of each set, alternating in each document. The teacher version includes source citations, New York State Social Studies Framework references, Lexile analysis of the translation (from free Lexile analyzer at Lexile.com) and claims from the new Performance Level Descriptors. The teacher version also includes an answer key. One question set should take a student 15-20 minutes to complete.
Documents are primary sources, save for a secondary source serving as one document in the Belief Systems question set 2. Religious texts are particularly inaccessible to students with reading difficulties since they rely on highly specialized, often foreign, words and concepts possibly outside of the students' own experiences.
* selections from Buddhist and Confucian texts
* life of aristocratic Romans and Greeks
* early Christianity in the Roman Empire
* Asoka's laws and Han Dynasty's debate on salt and iron
* laws in ancient Athens and Sparta
ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE:
- The grading rubric I have been using for these. NYSED has not made a rubric available yet. I devised this from the video at EngageNY.org. It reflects the performance level descriptors provided by the State Ed. Dept.
- A ZIP file named upload_teacherswebhost_com.zip. This is a little bonus containing 12 of the new type of Stimulus-based multiple-choice questions for topic 9.3. This is a new type of multiple-choice that will be on the Global Regents. This package is coded to install at TeachersWebHost.com. A video is included showing how to install and edit the questions. You can generate all sorts of assessments using these (printed tests, online auto-corrected tests, jeopardy-style games, etc.). TeachersWebHost.com is a truly excellent web site for student assessments and it integrates well with Google Classroom.