This PowerPoint presentation uses powerful images and clear, concise text to introduce your Biology students to biochemistry.
The four groups of organic molecules are explained with over 55 slides and 3 versions of differentiated notes for students.
The content is comprehensive enough to be used in place of a textbook if necessary. But, it’s also EDITABLE so you can customize it to complement any text or other materials you are using by adding, removing, or rearranging slides.
Your students will enjoy this visual approach to learning and you will enjoy saving planning time!
This resource also includes links to 3 videos for easy make-up work or the flipped classroom
Please Note: This resource is also available in my money-saving Exploring Life Unit Bundle
or, if you just want PowerPoints, it's included in my PowerPoints for Biology Bundle
This download includes 8 files:
2. Molecules of Life PowerPoint that includes over 55 slides with stunning photographs and easy to follow diagrams. Students will not be overwhelmed with wordy slides and you will be able to check for understanding with the "Turtle Time" slides embedded throughout the presentation that quiz students on what they have just learned. Additional notes explaining diagrams, concepts, background information, and instructional suggestions are included and can be printed separately or viewed in PowerPoint’s “Notes Page” view or “Presenter View” mode.
Notes: THREE versions of editable student and teacher notes so you can easily differentiate to meet the needs of your students.
3. Version A notes are set up so that the numbered notes correspond with the slides of the PowerPoint. This makes it easier for students to stay on pace with the lecture.
4. Version A Answer Key for Teachers
5. Version B notes are designed in a more traditional style; students will use information presented in the PowerPoint to fill in appropriate information.
6. Version B Answer Key for Teachers
7. Version C notes are fill-in-the-blank style notes that are coordinated with the PowerPoint, but could also be used for students who are absent during the presentation since it could be completed with a textbook or online resources. This version can work well as a quiz or worksheet.
8. Version C Answer Key for Teachers
Videos for the Flipped Classroom are Available on a Private You Tube Channel
Video 1: Molecules of Life, Part 1: Introduction to Biochemistry (5:19)
Video 2: Molecules of Life, Part 2: Carbohydrates and Lipids (6:36)
Video 3: Molecules of Life, Part 3: Proteins and Nucleic Acids (7:15)
to watch a fun trailer that highlights the Molecules of Life Videos.
Copyright Science Island
Sharing video links with anyone other than your students is a violation of copyright laws.
Vocabulary and topics covered in this chapter include:
• functional groups
• dehydration synthesis
• amino acid
• activation energy
• active site
• nucleic acid
You might also like:
Molecules of Life Task Cards
Biochemistry Review Qubes
Enzyme Lab: The Effect of Pectinase on the Production of Apple Juice
Unique Properties of Water Lab
Chemistry of Life PowerPoint and Notes