"Moloka'i" Alan Brennert: A Study Guide is a comprehensive resource ideal for both the individual reader and for reading groups/classes.
This study guide aims to support reflective reading, not to replace it.
1. Teacher's introduction;
2. Detailed, original introduction for students/readers including: an annotated list of characters, genre, themes, symbolism, etc.;
3. Each chapter is accompanied by a detailed commentary and (as appropriate) notes on historical references, and by guiding questions (32 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. NOTE: Suggested answers are given but trust the students to find their answers. The questions are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc.;
4. Ideas for groupings for classroom discussion, feedback, and presentation;
5. Definitions of key literary terms;
6. Post-reading discussion topics and activities;
7. Vocabulary activity and test - WITH answers;
8. Two maps and three graphic organizers for student notes. (NO completed graphics are included, nor are they needed.)