This Monarch Butterfly Study includes resources and teaching points aligned with the CCLS.
This download includes:
- 20 day unit teaching points
- SMARTBoard Slides to accompany each teaching points
- List of possible literature to support this unit
- Mini observation journal (must be cut and stapled)
- Large 8x10 observation journal (Observation pages and Stop and Jot! page can be duplicated as needed).
- Vocabulary Sheet (can be used for any unit)
- Alternate Observation Sheet (can be used for any unit)
- Vocabulary & Alternate Observation Sheet are not PDF for easy tweaking.
- Monarch Butterfly Acrostic Poem template.
Page 1- Monarch
Directions ask students to create an acrostic poem about the Monarch Caterpillar.
Page 2 - Butterfly
Directions ask students to create an acrostic poem about the Monarch Butterfly.
- Teacher Suggestions slide-by-slide (attached to SB unit- look under the paperclip icon on your SMARTBoard lesson screen).
- Two worksheets to accompany potential field trips:
Butterfly Garden Observation Worksheet asks for three things they have learned and to draw an illustrate for each.
Butterfly Garden Worksheet is a more in-depth worksheet that was created after a teacher-visit to the Bronx Zoo exhibit (Bronx, NY). This worksheet has questions that correlate with the plaques of information throughout the zoo's exhibit. This worksheet comes with an answer key and can be used if the information on it is taught throughout this unit. This worksheet has questions that are similar to the structure of the ELA questions.
- Worksheets are not PDF for easy tweaking
Materials not included:
- Monarch Caterpillars
- The Butterfly King DVD
Let me know if you have a special request, please do not hesitate to ask!
Enjoy - studying the Monarch Butterly life cycle is a fascinating experience to witness!!!