Get your students moving with these engaging chat stations! Topics covered include: 50/30/20 rule, budgeting, maximizing saving returns, saving strategies, net worth, depository institution account types, etc. This activity is perfect for a Personal Finance course. Chat stations are a great addition to your course because they improve whole class discussion since all students have had a chance to discuss potential responses in a less threatening environment before sharing with the class. Chat stations add variety to your curriculum and get students out of their seat!
This activity pairs well with Money Management Case Studies
and the Money Management Test and Study Guide
Included in this file:
Chat Station Prompts List (8 prompts included) PDF
Chat Station Prompts to Print PDF
Teacher Guide with Instructions and Discussion Guide PDF
Instructions for this activity:
1) Print chat station cards on colored paper, cut paper in half, and laminate if desired.
2) Place one card at each area you would like students to meet.
3) Place students in groups at each station.
4) Use a timer to give students a set period of time to discuss each prompt (~2 minutes).
5) Use a timer to give students a set period of time to move to the next chat station. Time depends on size of area being used (~20 seconds).
6) After students have had time to rotate through each discussion station review answers.
Optional: If you have trouble keeping students on task, have them record their answers on a sheet of notebook paper at each station. If students need guidelines for holding a discussion, provide students will accountable talk stems. You can find these on the Internet or TpT for free.
For other activities to get your students moving, check out:International Business QR Code Scavenger HuntDigital Citizenship Worksheet and Gallery WalkBusiness Ethics (Ethical Dilemmas) Chat Stations/ Gallery Walk Business Ownership Discussion Questions for Gallery WalkBusiness Leadership QR Code Scavenger Hunt