This pack offers a monkey themed MATH COUNTING CENTER ACTIVITIES for preschool to grade 1 and includes feed the monkey work mats and number cards”. THE TOOLS IN THIS PACKAGE OFFER MANY WAYS TO USE AND TO DIFFERENTIATE AND ARE SUITABLE FOR PRE-KG TO GRADE 1 STUDENTS. These activities are suitable when teaching about monkeys or zoo animals.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS LESSON PLAN IS A SAMPLE EXTRACT ( 1 out of 20 lesson plans) INCLUDED IN MY ZOO MEGA PACK
OPTION 1-FEED THE MONKEY- COUNTING TO 10 AND TO 20-NUMERAL CARDS
• 2 “feed the monkey” work mats showing a monkey with an open mouth
• Banana number cards showing numbers 1 to 20
• Blank banana number cards so you can write your own numbers
• Apple number cards showing 1 to 20
• Blank apple cards to write your own number.
OPTION 1- HOW TO USE:
Select the number cards appropriate for your students. Place the cards in a basket and provide each student with a monkey mat and banana and apple counters. Students pull the number card from the basket, name the number and feed the monkey the same quantity of fruits as indicated by the number
OPTION 2-FEED THE MONKEY- COUNTING TO 10 AND TO 20- QUANTITY CARDS
• Apple cards showing a basket with different number of apples from 1-10
• Apple cards showing 1 basket of 10 apples and some ones (10’s and 1’s) to 20
• Banana cards showing bananas in different bunches; from a single banana to a bunch to 10 bananas.
• Banana cards showing a bunch of 10 and bunches of ones (10’s and 1’s) to 20
OPTION 2- HOW TO USE:
1. Select the quantity cards appropriate for your students. Place the cards in a basket and provide each student with a monkey mat and banana and apple counters. Students pull the quantity card from the basket, name the number and feed the monkey the same quantity of fruits as indicated by the number.
2. Use the quantity cards without the monkey mats to have students assemble the same quantity using real fruits
3. Use the quantity cards (10’s and 1’s) with teen frames and have students assemble the same quantity on the teen frames to decompose the ten into 10 ones and add the extra ones
OPTION 3-FEED THE MONKEY- TEN FRAME AND TENS AND ONES QUANTITY STRIPS
• Apple STRIPS showing a ten frame with apples in it and a place to write a number 1-10
• Apple STRIPS showing one basket with 10 apple and another basket with a different quantity of apples (example 10 and 5, 10 and 2)
• Banana STRIPS showing a ten frame with bananas and a place to write a number 1-10
• Banana STRIPS showing one bunch of 10 bananas and a smaller bunch of a bananas from 1-9
OPTION 3- HOW TO USE:
1. Use the strips alone without the monkey mats with dry erase markers- students count and write the numeral
2. Use the strips alone without the monkey mats with dry number tiles or magnetic letters- students count and place the correct numeral
3. Use the strips WITH the monkey mats with dry erase markers- students count and write the numeral and then feed the monkey the same number of fruits
4. Use the strips alone without the monkey mats as teaching and sequencing tools to show “one more” or “addition”- Example: students pull 2 strip cards from 1-10, represent the quantity on a work mat and solve (5 apples and 3 apples is 8 apples)
OPTION 4-NO PREP PRINTABLES
All the tools above come in color and black and white and I have included cover pages so you can turn the ten frame strips into little strip books. Please see the preview.
I am very happy to work with everyone. If you have any concerns or comments regarding this teaching tool, please contact me at email@example.com before leaving negative or low ratings and I will ensure you are 100% satisfied.
All the best
Monkey math center, monkey counting centers, tens and ones , addition and assembling quantities from 1-20, zoo themed math centers.