This is a complete lesson plan about monopolistic competition and how it is related to Perfect Competition
, and Oligopoly
. Other parts of this lesson focus on product differentiation, advertising, and branding. (This lesson is part of a larger unit on Market Structure
THIS DOWNLOAD INCLUDES:
1) Warm Up Activity -- students identify the market structure present in certain markets.
2) PowerPoint Presentation -- contains the lecture and is a guide for all activities.
3) Note Sheet -- students fill out this note sheet during the lecture.
4) Class Activity -- game where students brainstorm how markets differentiate products.
5) Homework -- students compare/contrast market structures and analyze brand names.
6) Teacher Materials -- includes a detailed lesson plan, answer keys, and a "Read Me" document explaining how to use the materials included.
TOPICS FOR THE LECTURE:
1) Characteristics of monopolistic competition
2) How monopolistic competition differs from other market structures
3) Product differentiation
4) How entry and exit eliminate long run profits or losses
6) Brand names
(If you would like to download one of my PowerPoint slideshows to get a feel for my style, check out my free download here
This lesson is the seventh day of a seven-day unit on Market Structure
that was designed using national standards from the Council for Economic Education. It should take 80 - 90 minutes, which is perfect for the block schedule, but it can also be easily split in half for classes that run closer to 50 minutes.
Monopolistic Competition - Lesson Plan and Activities
by Nick Samsal
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License