Monsters Are Due on Maple Street – CCSS-aligned resources that focus on vocabulary, plot details, characterization, and theme. Includes two different differentiated writing assignments with convenient grading sheets!
This Product Includes:
1. LITERATURE RESPONSE – Students use close reading skills as they respond to Common Core-aligned prompts (2 pages, to be copied back-to-back)
2. VOCABULARY – A vocabulary study of ten words from the story (2 pages, to be copied back-to-back)
3. PLOT LINE CHART – A visually attractive plot chart with definitions given for exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Includes plenty of space for students to record events.
4. THEME ESSAY ASSIGNMENT – Students choose two theme topics from a list of six provided. Complete step-by-step directions are given as students gather text evidence and follow the writing process. The Theme Essay comes in two versions for differentiation, regular and advanced.
5. THEME ESSAY ASSIGNMENT “ADVANCED VERSION” – This is the same theme essay assignment, but it has two higher-level requirements to challenge students. You can choose between the two version to meet the needs of your learners.
6. GRAPHIC ORGANIZER – A pre-writing organizer students use as they gather evidence for the Theme Essay
7. THEME ESSAY GRADING RUBRIC – A rubric for grading either version of the Theme Essay
8. TRANSITIONS – A handy list of transitions organized by purpose for students to reference as they draft their essays.
9. CREATIVE TOPICS – An engaging writing assignment with three Creative Topics based on the teleplay. Student choice of narrative or argumentative-type writing offers differentiation.
10. CREATIVE TOPICS GRADING SHEET – A convenient half-sheet where comments are provided for teachers to check (strengths and areas for improvement) and then assign a grade.
11. ANSWER KEYS – Answer keys are provided for the Literature Response, Vocabulary, and Plot Line pages (6 pages)
12. TEACHER GUIDELINES and COMMON CORE STANDARDS – Specific guidelines for teaching with the materials and a list of standards aligned with the resources.
If you are looking for quality writing and response tasks to engage your students while reading The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, please open the PREVIEW!
Check out some of my other Common Core products by clicking below:
TASK CARDS for BETTER WRITING: Sentence Fragments
TASK CARDS for BETTER WRITING: Run-On Sentences
TASK CARDS for BETTER WRITING: Verb Tense Consistency
TASK CARDS for BETTER WRITING: Repetitive Wording
ELA Assessment and Test Review MINI-BOOK - Grades 6-7-8 Common Core
Literature Stations with Task Cards for ANY Novel Drama or Story - Common Core
Common Core Differentiated Short Response Slips for Literature
Common Core Bell Ringers - 180 Daily Warm-Ups with Answer Slides