This "Monsters Love School" book companion is perfect for back to school season, and gives you a variety of easy to implement, fun activities for many of your common preschool language goals, with nearly all no/low prep activities in order to save you time! (Because we all know how stressful the beginning of the year can be, between getting your schedule put together, getting your caseload figured out, your August/September IEPs scheduled, etc!)
"Monsters Love School" is a great pick for the start of the year, because Little Monster is nervous about going to school and doesn't know what to expect. He goes through the school day and after doing art, reading books, eating lunch/snack, making friends, and playing outside, he realizes he loves Monster School!
By using this book companion, you'll be able to simplify your therapy planning by using the materials included and just this one book for therapy sessions!
Here's what you get:
- 2 verb smash mats: 1 with summer actions (as the book starts out with the monsters ending their summer activities) and 1 with school activities. Low ink options are included, as well.
- What, Where, Object Function Play Dough Mats (no prep): Two visual answer choices are given for each question. Questions are related to summer and school actions depicted in each picture.
- Object function monster smash mat:. Use play dough, pom poms, and/or googly eyes to cover the objects in the grid and on the monster eyeballs. Describe what you do with each object and cover it, or, cover an item based on a given description.
- Basic Concept Smash Mats Set 1 (no prep): 20 mats in all. Target concepts big, small, long, and short. This set of mats is for teaching/working on individual concepts by themselves. Students will make big and small monsters, scissors, glue bottles, crayon boxes, and sand castles. They will also make long and short crayons, pencils, paintbrushes, staplers, and buses.
- Basic Concept Smash Mats Set 1 (no prep): 20 mats in all. Targets same concepts as set 1, but this set is for teaching/working on opposite concepts together.
- Visuals to demonstrate concepts of big, small, long, and short. Slip these into a sheet protector and they are no prep, as well.
- Carrier Phrases for Articulation Mats (5): Use these to work on articulation goals! Each mat is representative of a school activity from the book. Place an articulation card in the white box, and practice your words in phrases! Or, you can produce the carrier phrase, and they can fill in their speech word! Place these in sheet protectors for a no prep option.
- Cut and glue categories (receptive category task): Cut out the ice cubes and sort into the correct monster cups according to category.
- Dot and Dash Categories (expressive category task): Name 3 items in each category, using dot markers to stamp a piece of paper for each item named.
- Cariboo Cards: 1 set of monster action cards for the game boxes
For more back to school activities, click here!
For more book companions, click here!
I love helping other SLPs instill a love of shared book-reading with their students by creating visually appealing, interactive extension activities that have kids engaged and excited to read and participate!