A two-week literacy unit of poetry planning for Years 5 and 6, based on performing poems on the theme of 'battles against monsters and men' and built around the new curriculum literacy objectives.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to the dramatic poems 'The Kraken' and 'Charge of the Light Brigade' by the Victorian poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, and they will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poems are read aloud. Children will work towards creating their own poems about sea monsters and war battles and then they will perform them aloud.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic and narrative poems by a Victorian poet
• To identify poetic devices and to explain their effects
• To research the literary influences of classic poetry
• To prepare and perform a poem to an audience
• To engage with a poet’s use of imaginative language to create monsters and battle scenes.
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupil resources