This packet contains activities and printables designed to allow students to make meaning of the principles of place value.
It addresses Common Core Performance Standards in Math for 2nd grade.
1. “There’s a Monster in My Closet”
Students record the number that the picture represents. (tens and ones)
2. “A Monster Took My Pencil” foldable
Students must decide whether the number correctly represents the picture and place it in the correct pocket. (to hundreds)
3. “There’s a Monster Under My Bed”
Students must record the number and number word that the picture on the bed represents.(to hundreds)
4. “Places Please” graphic organizer
Students will roll regular dice or place value dice and record the number in standard and expanded form, pictures, and number words.
5. “Monsters Shout and Stretch It Out”
Students use place value arrows to help write numbers in expanded form. (To thousands)
6. “Save a Place for Three” flapbook
Students decide on the value of the digit 3 in a number. (to thousands)
7. “A Monster Took my iPod” Matching activity
Students will determine the value of the underlined digit in a number and match it with the correct card. Recording sheet included. (to thousands)
8. “A Monster Took my Cookie” Matching activity
Students will determine the number that is ten more or ten less than a number.
9. “Guess Who!” game
10. Place Value Arrows—Student set, teacher set, and practice sheet.