This is a minimal prep monthly book report assignment that can be used throughout the year! The assignment is broken up into 4 weeks. At the beginning of the month students need to pick a book that want to read. In the bundle I have information on what kinds of books work best for this assignment. Using the book they choose, students are given multiple activities that address various Common Core State Standards.
Included in this bundle are:
- Implementation Plan
- Planning sheet to keep students on track of their reading
- Activity for story elements (major & minor characters, setting)
- Activity for favorite character
- Activity for character traits
- Activity for using character traits to compare/contrast characters in the story
- Activity for summarizing
- Activity for making recommendations
- Activity for creating a blurb
- Rubrics for an oral presentation and for a poster (these are for the 2 projects included)
** Most of the activities come with a lesson plan, guided practice, and independent practice for students!
Couple things to keep in mind:
- The material from this bundle is not meant to be used to teach a new skill. While I have lesson plans for most of the activities, they are written as refreshers for skills that have been taught in the past.
- The mini-lessons and classwork activities do not need to be repeated every month. Personally, I used those lessons the first month I assigned the book report. I only repeated lessons (using different books than I used the first time) when I saw that my students struggled with a particular portion of this assignment.
- I am a special education teacher so you find that many of the lesson are broken down into smaller chunks.