This document includes 2 writing prompts for each month September - May. I have students go through the entire writing process with each of these prompts and it is all laid out for you. At the beginning of the year I copy all the prompts and place it in a writing binder for students. I usually wait until there is a full 5 day week of school to have students complete a writing prompt since it takes five days to complete. Students brainstorm and pre-write, write a rough draft, edit their rough draft by themselves, write a second draft, have a buddy edit, and finally write a final draft. This is how I get the core of my writing grade.
I am a third grade teacher so these prompts are aligned with 3rd grade writing standards and include writing prompts having them writing opinion/persuasive pieces, narratives, and informative pieces. But these could easily be aligned with 2nd and 4th grade as well. Each writing prompt includes an "I Can" Statement at the bottom for students.
Included in this document:
1. Monthly prompts and all pages needed to go through writing process for September-May. (It is divided in 2 PDFs and if you set you printer to print 1-2-sided all you would need to do is hole-punch it and you have your writing for the year set).
2. CUPS direction page for how students should edit their writing. I have students edit with "CUPS and Colors" where they use colors and trace capital letters and periods to prove to me they really edited.
3. Writing checklist for students and how I grade the prompts.
4. I also included monthly prompts, pages, and checklist in a document format so that you can edit it to fit your grade level, standards, and needs of students.
5. Writing prompts tied with "EmPower". Our district recently started implementing "EmPower" so if this is something your district does you can choose to copy these prompts instead that include some of the "EmPower" components.