Packet includes 12 pages, one for each month of the year.
One sheet of 8.5” x 11” paper makes one Display Case.
Print Display Cases on index-weight or cover stock paper in color or black/white.
THINGS TO DO:
1. Have students count as you write the dates of the days of the month on the front of the display. Laminate this one side before writing on the display if you wish to erase the dates and use the display for other years.
2. Observe and discuss the picture representing each month. Use the information listed on the front of each display to discuss important things about each month. Review this info frequently throughout the school year as students will mature and relate to it more as the year progresses.
3. Use quarter sheets of copy paper to record student names and their birthdays. Allow students to place their quarter sheets inside the Display Case of their birthday month. (See related product.)
4. Collect and store photographs of things that happened in the classroom during each month. Use quarter sheets of paper to record information or graphics illustrating some of the things students learned during each month.
5. “Read” the words used as wallpaper on the Display Case. Have students point to examples of the name of the month written in all upper-case letters, written incorrectly in all lower-case letters, written with a capital letter at the beginning of the word. Point to the name of the month written in a specified color, in other words, find the word January written in red or blue. Spell the month while touching the letters.
6. Place the Display Cases end-to-end to form a sequential train of months. Discuss what month comes before or after another month.
7. Sequence items or cards from within a single Display Case and use oral sentences to describe the month. Example: In February, we got wet on the playground, we had a fire drill, we exchanged Valentines, we celebrated President’s Day, and a rabbit visited us at the end of the month.
8. Collect weather information for each month – tally mark the number of cloudy days, days with precipitation, sunny days, partly cloudy days.
STORE Display Cases:
Instead of assembling with glue, use paper clips to secure the sides of the display so it can be folded flat and stored in the following ways:
1. Glued into LOCOmotion Classroom Notebooks or Station Books.
2. Placed in large pockets in LOCOmotion Classroom Notebooks or Station Books.
3. Placed in labeled plastic bags or expandable file folders.
4. Stored inside a Box Book in your LOCOmotion Box Library (made from cereal boxes).
ASSEMBLY VIDEO & MORE INFORMATION: