This is a project or short term assignment that promotes Bloom's higher level thinking, application, evaluating, creating.
Mood is the feeling or atmosphere that the author creates. By using particular words and phrases, an author purposely sets the mood, or feeling, of the story. The mood affects the way you feel as you read the story. The mood can have either negative or positive qualities.
Assignment: Singers or lyricists are authors as well. Their songs use particular words and phrases that purposely set the mood, or feeling of the song. The song affects the way you feel as you listen to the lyrics. The mood can have either negative or positive qualities.
1. Select 4 to 5 songs to listen to. Select only one of your favorite songs. The others songs you are studying should be recommended by another person. Ask a parent, grandparent, older sibling, uncle, aunt, or neighbor to share their favorite song with you as well. Please tell them to select an appropriate song but to expose you to something you may have never heard before.
2. Listen to the song on youtube.com or any other music website.
3. Find and study the lyrics.
4. After listening to the song and reading the lyrics determine the mood, positive or negative, of the song. We provided a list of positive and negative descriptors. Last page!
5. Provide 2-3 text details, or in this case, 2-3 lines from the song that support the mood of the song.
Includes: 1) directions 2) success criteria (model of great work) 3. A list of positive mood words 4) a list of negative mood words 5) student checklist
This is fun and engaging!