Mood is an essential element of every piece of literature. That’s why helping students to understand how to distinguish and analyze the mood of a text is essential. This mini-unit is designed to do just that! Not only will students understand that mood is the atmosphere of a text, they’ll also develop confidence in their own skills as a reader.
This 3-day mini-unit provides lots of opportunities for students to read, write, and discuss mood. Each lesson starts with a fun and engaging activity:
--- Emoji Moods (where students hold up emoji faces in response to teacher clues)
--- Many Moods Foldable (where students sort jumbled moods into an interactive shape)
--- Mood Sketch and Write (where students sketch 4 moody scenes and then describe them)
Then, students learn about and practice identifying the mood in literature through whole group instruction, small group work, partnerships, and independent practice.
In this mini-unit, students will develop a deep understanding of how mood can be developed with word choice and setting. They’ll also analyze long and short reading passages as well as poetry. Students will complete guided notes, reading comprehension passages, graphic organizers and writing activities. This is a fun unit for students and teachers!
This detailed MOOD mini-unit includes:
• 3 Detailed Daily Lesson Plans
• Emoji Moods – Happy and Depressed Hands-On Shapes
• Emoji Moods – Clue Sentences
• Many Moods Foldable – Story Cards
• Many Moods Foldable – Interactive Shape
• 4 Mood Sketch and Write Activities
• Guided Notes on Literary Devices and Mood
• 3 Short Reading Passages and Questions for Mood
• What a Mood – Writing Activity
• Guided Notes on Mood and Word Choice
• Poetry and Mood Analysis – with 3 Analysis Tasks
• Guided Notes on Mood and Setting
• Long Reading Passage
• All keys for student work and instruction
This unit is also a part of a Literary Devices Bundle.
The bundle is filled with 6 fun mini-units to teach literary devices! You can check it out HERE.
You may also like…
• Reading Comprehension Skills – Mini-Units
- Context Clues, Inferences, Cause and Effect, Main Idea, Sequencing, and Predicting
• 20 Creative Reading Response Activities
• Myth Study and Writing Unit
- Includes both an integrated and stand-alone version of the unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the red “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Brain Waves Instruction