Also included in
- If you are overwhelmed or intimidated by teaching Astronomy or Space Science you are in luck! This bundle of resources includes everything you could ever ask for: lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student notes, practice questions, formative assessment pieces, and creative activities. BONUS: A$140.00$170.00Save $30.00
- I LOVE Astronomy! One of my life's missions is to help more people understand the wonders of space and appreciate the Earth. I hope these Astronomy resources will find a home in your classroom and spark curiosity and excitement in your students.This zipped folder will include all of my present and$185.00$236.50Save $51.50
Everything you need to teach about Moon Phases! This bundle of resources includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint, student notes, practice questions and formative assessment pieces – almost everything is editable! Through this lesson students will learn about the Moon's orbit; the reason for the phases of the moon; the names of the 8 main moon phases; topic-specific terms like waxing, waning, crescent, and gibbous; the difference between a sidereal month and a synodic month; different names to describe the moon throughout the year.
Student learning goals for the Moon Phases Lesson:
- describe the orbit of the Moon around Earth
- connect the position of the moon to its phase and appearance; name the phases of the lunar cycle
- explain the difference between a sidereal month and a synodic month
Please examine the images and preview above to see how this resource can help you and your students.
In the zipped file, you will receive:
★ 2-page lesson plan (PDF and editable Microsoft Word).
★ 19-slide editable PowerPoint presentation with hyperlinks to YouTube videos.
★ 4-page editable student notes plus 2 pages of homework (PDF and editable Microsoft Word) that coordinate with the PowerPoint in a fill-in-the-blank style. There are 6 homework/practice questions (4 pages of notes, 2 pages of homework questions). A teacher version with blanks filled in is also provided in both file types.
★ 21 pages of editable task cards that can be used as formative assessments. 8 pages of quick checks to be used during class and 8 pages of retrieval practice questions to be later in the unit. For ease of use, these are included as all-different on a page, and all-the-same on a page (PDF file and editable PowerPoint file so you can add your own too!).
★ Moon Phases Circle Puzzle: Students match the moon phase name to its image. Multiple sizes and answer key included. 16-page PDF.
★ Domino Puzzle: Student practice matching terms related to Moon Phases with their definition or image. Different sizes of the puzzle are included, along with instructions and answer key. 14-page PDF. Terms included in the domino puzzle are:
-New Moon Phase (matches image)
-Waxing Crescent Phase (matches image)
-First Quarter Phase (matches image)
-Waxing Gibbous Phase (matches image)
-Full Moon Phase (matches image)
-Waning Gibbous Phase (matches image)
-Last Quarter Phase (matches image)
-Waning Crescent Phase (matches image)
ALMOST ALL RESOURCES ARE EDITABLE: The PowerPoint, lesson plans, student and teacher notes, homework, and bell ringers are all editable. Only the puzzles are non-editable PDFs.
This lesson can further be supported by the Moon Phases Doodle Note.
If you are interested in using the doodle notes with these lessons your best value is to purchase the Astronomy Growing Bundle. This bundle includes all the lessons, PowerPoint presentations, practice and activities as well as all the doodle notes and anchor charts. When additional lessons are added, you can be notified by following my store.
You can see the other resources in the Astronomy all-in-one Lesson Bundle by clicking the links below. Please follow my store for notifications when new resources are added to the bundle.