Also included in
- You get 14 engaging, hands-on, rigorous activities for 50% when you purchase this bundle and it lasts at least 8 weeks!!! You get an 11-page detailed integrated scope & sequence for easy lesson planning, editable PowerPoints for student instructions and easy classroom management, detailed teache$27.00$52.86Save $25.86
- This Middle School Physical Science NGSS Mega Bundle is a Growing Bundle, meaning that if you buy it now at a discounted price, you will be able to continually receive new products for free that are added as the price increases! I have taught this course since 2000 and I have constantly improved and$187.00$371.94Save $184.94
- These activities aren’t just you’re ordinary everyday fill in the blank rote worksheets. These are student centered, challenging, hands-on, engaging activities that will wow and motivate even some of the most reluctant learners. I’ve taught, tweaked and improved these products since 2000. I bundled$43.00$80.36Save $37.36
- This Middle School NGSS Integrated MEGA Bundle is a Growing Bundle, meaning that if you buy it now at a discounted price, you will be able to continually receive new products for free that are added as the price increases! I taught this course since the 2018/2019 school year and it has been the best$225.00$353.78Save $128.78
Students love this lab!!! I have the students bring in the Oreos and spoons/knives to class. Or you can spend about $25 on Oreos, which for my class size is 8 cookies per group, with 8 groups per class. Students model what they think the pattern of moon phases are for one month without any prior knowledge. For the NGSS Science and Engineering Practice “Developing and Using Models”, it’s important that you don’t scaffold or front-load the information. You want them to use their prior knowledge when creating their first model. Students then arrange 8 cookies, each one’s frosting being scraped to represent all 8 phases (New Moon, Waxing Crescent, 1st Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, 3rd Quarter, Waning Crescent). Once their arrangement accurately shows every phase, students then revise their model by drawing what their cookies look like. Revising models is the great metacognitive aspect of modeling in NGSS. They also need to label each phase using the book, however Google Images has countless moon phase diagrams if you don’t have a book. There are eight questions the students then answer.
You get the following:
-Student copy of the lab
-Detailed teacher notes
-A Google link for Distance Learning
-Google Classroom Tutorials
The following concepts are included:
-Process that causes the moon to appear as different phases
-New Moon, Waxing Crescent, 1st Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, 3rd Quarter, Waning Crescent
-The moon and gravity
-The moon’s atmosphere
-The length of one lunar cycle
Disciplinary Core Idea-ESS1.B: Earth and the Solar System
The orbits of Earth around the sun and of the moon around Earth, cause observable patterns. These include day and night and different positions of the earth, sun and moon, at different times of the day, month, and year. (5-ESS1-2)
Cross Cutting Concepts-Patterns
Similarities and differences in patterns can be used to sort, classify, communicate and analyze simple rates of change for natural phenomena. (5-ESS1-2)
Science & Engineering Practices 2: Developing and Using Models
Modeling can begin in the earliest grades, with students' models progressing from concrete "pictures" and/or physical scale models (e.g., a toy car) to more abstract representations of relevant relationships in later grades, such as a diagram representing forces on a particular object in a system.
• All rights reserved by Williams Hands On Science, Inc.
• This product is to be used by the original purchaser only.
• Intended for classroom and personal use only.
• Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited.
• This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view.
• Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
If there are any errors or questions, please contact me through TpT or email me at:
Thank you for taking a look!
Please follow me on TpT for new products and check me out on Instagram for my products in action!
⭐ Crashed on the Moon
⭐ Earth, Moon and Sun PowerPoint and Guided Notes
⭐ NGSS Astronomy Resource Bundle: PowerPoint Labs Guided Notes Prezi Board Game
⭐ NGSS Black Holes & Galaxies Claim Evidence Reasoning Graphic Organizer
⭐ NGSS Claim Evidence Reasoning (CER) Big Bang Graphic Organizer
⭐ NGSS Claim Evidence Reasoning The Mysterious Planet Nine Solar System Astronomy
⭐ NGSS Earth's Orbit Around The Sun Stop Motion Movie
⭐ NGSS Expanding Universe Claim Evidence Reasoning Graphic Organizer
⭐ NGSS Waves Electromagnetic Spectrum Properties Worksheet
⭐ The Human Sundial
⭐ The Planets Board Game
⭐ The Sun Board Game