Moon Phases Story Unit and Activities plus Easel for 2nd and 3rd grade
- Easel Activity
Learning about phases of the moon has never been so much fun for your 2nd or 3rd grade students! This story unit, followed by activities, presents information in a fun and appealing way for students. These letters written by Zog, the alien, back to his people on Zipton. explains all about the phases of the moon. You see, Zipton doesn't have a moon, so this is all very new to Zog! Oh! And ice cream, he learns about ice cream too!
Special Features about this Phases of the Moon Resource:
- Using letters from an alien grab student interest
- The letters from Zog are easily adaptable for use in your reading program
- To help you differentiate for your students there are two sets of letters and posters, one for 2nd graders and one for 3rd graders
- Vocabulary cards are included
- The average reading level for second grade is 2.5 as determined by StoryToolz Readability. The average reading level for third grade is 3.7 also as determined by StoryToolz Readability.
- 15 letters from Zog for each grade level outline each concept presented to students
- Includes letters, posters, activities and quizzes
- Includes two classroom activities (What causes craters, and how light from the sun causes moon phases)
- Makes teaching phases of the moon EASY, and a huge time saver for you
- Easy for a sub to use
- Makes planning a breeze...just print and teach
- Includes FREE TPT digital Easel. This digital resource has a set of letters for third graders, and a more simplified set for second graders. This is also true of the moon posters. There is a set for third, and a set for second. There is also a quiz for third graders. Teachers can simply go into the digital format, and delete the set of letters and posters they do not need. If they need them later, they can be retrieved.
- Reading selections have been written by a professional children's curriculum writer. Experience includes writing on-line curriculum for CNN and Coca Cola, 7 books for The Child's World Press and writing weekly social studies newspapers for American Legacy Publishers.
Be sure and check out the Preview!
This unit includes:
- Table of Contents (in preview)
- Teacher directions
- Two sheets of vocabulary cards
- 15 Letters from Zog written on the second grade reading level
- 15 letters from Zog written on the third grade reading level
- Two sets of phases of the moon posters, one for second grade, one for third
- Posters to help students understand the movement of the moon
- Activity page
- Two quizzes with grading keys
- Creative Writing Page
- Space bookmarks
Comments on this resource include:
"I bought this one when of my students showed a lot of interest in space and the moon. I taught it to everyone and now all my students love learning about it! It was fun for the students to learn the moon phases. Thank you!"
"Kids always love aliens-good way to get them learning!"
"STUDENTS REALLY LOVED THIS!"
"My students couldn't wait to get a letter from Zog! This was a great unit that really kept my students engaged."
"My class loved Zog! This taught not only about the moon but also was a great review in letter writing. Terrific!"
About this Teacher Author
National Board Certified Teacher (2001-2011), Masters in Curriculum, Gifted Certified, Cobb County Elementary Teacher of the Year, Addison Elementary Teacher of the Year, Bullard Elementary Teacher of the Year, Atlanta Journal and Constitution Honor Teacher finalist ($5000 award), District 3 Georgia Science Teacher of the Year, Author of seven books published by The Child's World Press, Wrote online k-12 social studies and language arts curriculum for Coca Cola, curriculum writer for CNN, curriculum writer for American Legacy Publishers 2009-2014, 25 years teaching experience in grades 1st-4th.
To get 1/2 off on all new products during the first 48 hours after launch, click on the "follow me" button next to the green star.