Math morning work can set up a predictable start to the day and can get your students into a learning mode for the day. Addition, place value, expanded form and skip counting are all skills that your 2nd grade students need to be SOLID on come their third grade year. The four skills on this morning work repeat daily so that your students can become confident with these tricky skills!
I know every classroom is different and every classroom, district, town, county and state teaches math in a slightly different order. For this reason, I have created math morning work packs with specific skills in mind rather than for specific months of the year.
This particular pack asks students to complete 5 tasks daily.
1) Writing out the date. (Monday, July 29, 2013)
2) Adding a 2 digit plus 2 digit number with regrouping.
3) Naming the place value of a given digit through the thousands place.
4) Writing a number to the thousands place in expanded form.
5) Filling in blanks to complete a basic skip counting pattern.
This morning work is most appropriate for 3rd graders or late in the 2nd grade year.
Please download the preview to see a sample day in this pack. If this set of skills doesn't fit your needs, please browse my other packs as I have a variety of other options!