• This is available as a PDF for easier printing or as a Microsoft Word document for modifying. Feel free to make changes to this document to suit your students.
• 4 page Teacher's Guide: Linked to Common Core Standards, Sample Answers, Timeline for teaching the story in 4 parts.
• 12 page Student Packet: Scaffolded activities with a lot of writing, including quoting from the text and providing commentary.
• All page and line numbers were taken from Third Course Holt Reader. You may need to change page and line numbers to fit your version of the text.
• Inferences: Includes a series of 9 graphic organizers to guide in making inferences. Some inferences have details filled in to scaffold the exercise. Have students write 3 quotations from text in "It Says", 3 of their own comments in "I Say", and a one sentence answer in "And So".
• Characterization: Students will complete 3 graphic organizers that guide them to cite evidence and write commentary about character traits of Rainsford and of General Zaroff.
• Double Entry Journal: The Journal format allows students to note key portions of text then respond on the same page. The first journal is completed as an example, the entire first page has essential portions of text already chosen, and the subsequent 3 pages have cues for what to look for as essential passages. There are 20 total spaces for journal entries. I have students write the page number and copy text on the left, then respond in 3-4 sentences on the right.