WRITING SPELLING WORDS 5X EACH &/OR STUDYING SPELLING RULES DOESN’T WORK FOR EVERYONE!!!
This book follows along with the corresponding mini-lessons on YouTube that cover the Top 100 Most Frequently Misspelled Words! They bring the FREE Innovative Spelling PowerPoint to life & put the power of learning in your students’ hands!!!
Innovative Spelling is a technique which helps teachers and students for whom the traditional materials/spelling practice does not work. It moves students to think outside of the box, guiding them to do what many strong spellers do naturally on their own- create strategies to aid in recall using mental pictures, playing with words or sounds, connecting to words they already know, etc. Many do this instinctively. But some students need modeling and practice to learn this type of thinking.
Innovative Spelling helps students at any level of ability to do so. It is a great tool, because it not only provides differentiation via increased scaffolding support and improved learning, but it also is teaching students an important lifelong skill.
This technique can be used with any word list at any grade level 2nd-12th! It is student centered and focuses on what kids already know making them feel empowered!
This 147 page, easy-to-use printable book is divided into 6 sections covering the Top 100 Most Frequently/Commonly Misspelled Words in the videos and also includes the Spelling & Practice Cards as well!
The Design of This Book…
Many aspects including student learning and the classroom constraints were taken into consideration when creating this book in order to make it as easy to use and effective as possible.
- incorporates all 4 language modalities (reading, writing, listening & speaking) which increases student learning by allowing the brain to work with the information in multiple ways.
- is comprised of brief practice exercises that are effective and manageable within a regular class room time constraints.
- along with the videos, provides supportive strategies to help students learn the correct spelling as well as become more independent learners.
- includes use of words in isolation and within sentence context.
- has built in opportunities for teacher and students to monitor progress.
- organizes and groups words in a manner that will best help students connect & recall spelling.
- is formatted so you only use what your students need.
- has the Teacher Pages & Answer Keys compiled right along with the Student Exercises. No additional teacher book necessary.
Profits are used towards creating more materials, videos & maintaining ESLanswers.com- a free website that helps practicing ESL/ELL teachers connect with one another, share their teaching stories and problem-solve everyday teaching dilemmas.
Although this book has been reviewed and edited multiple times, should you purchase this product and locate mistakes or find something to be unclear, please contact me. I would be happy to look into the suggestions, make necessary changes and forward the updated product. :-)
Together, we will move our students from mediocre to effective spellers!