Moth Life Cycle - Comprehensive Unit:
Kids love live animals and this unit includes life cycle photographs of real moths and caterpillars. The PowerPoint presentation introduces children to the metamorphosis changes of a cecropia and luna moth from egg to adult. The photographs in this unit are from an award winning photographer.
PowerPoint introduction to a moth's life cycle (featuring real photos). We've also included additional information and cool facts about moths. 30 pages.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 7 full page color photos and information related to a moth's life cycle.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 7 full page color photos with more information about moths
• How do caterpillars protect themselves
• Moth parts
• Caterpillar parts
• Why do moths have antennae
• Moth Variety
• Moth and Butterfly differences
• Cool moth facts
• Complete the Life Cycle - Students cut out pictures and place them in the correct order for the moth's life cycle.
• Moth Sentences - Students use the correct word to complete sentences.
• My Moth Book - Students are given their own moth book. They are asked to complete various activities in their book.
• Becoming a Moth - Students observe some photographs of moths and describe what is happening in the photos.
• Moth Life Cycle Yes or No - Student indicated whether statements are true or false.
• Moth Facts - The teacher provides the pupils with student center information for this activity (included). Students complete a worksheet about what they learned.
• Moth Adult and Caterpillar Photo - Students practice labeling animal parts on a moth and caterpillar photograph.
• Moth Story - Students write a story about the moth's life cycle including some key words.
• Keeping Moths - Comprehensive teacher resource on how to collect and care for moth eggs, caterpillars, cocoons and adults. Colored and gray scale versions.
• Moth Experiment - Students complete a simple experiment to find out if caterpillars prefer specific foods. Students complete a bar graph showing their results.
• Moth Activity - Students observe an adult moth emerging and answer questions.
• Caterpillar Activity - Students observe a caterpillar and answer questions.
Moth Life Cycle - Becoming a Moth
(Grades 2-4). Note: This comprehensive unit also includes this same teacher resource about Keeping Moths.
Moth Life Cycle PowerPoint - Becoming a Moth
(PreK- Grade 4).
From The Developer:
As teachers we know how much children are fascinated with real animals. We used photographs of live critters rather than drawings or clipart for this presentation. We have teaching backgrounds and authored several dozen children's books related to using critters in the classroom. We are using our experience and our biology background to provide information about keeping moth eggs, caterpillars, cocoons and adults in the classroom.
Standards for Science and Math including:
• Life cycles and adaptations of living things to their environment.
• Scientific investigations and collecting data.
• Collecting data using bar graphs.
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, are for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources:
We are always looking for honest comments and ratings so we can improve our products. You also get earned credits for discounts on future TPT purchases when you leave both a comment and a rating.