Also included in
- This comprehensive ELA and math packet bundle features three popular and beloved books: Creepy Pair of Underwear, Mother Bruce, and After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up. This printable resource is full of engaging ELA activities to help your students practice genre, author’s purpose, cause$15.00$18.00Save $3.00
This comprehensive ELA and math packet bundle features Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins. This printable resource is full of engaging ELA activities to help your students practice genre, author’s purpose, cause/effect, as well as math activities like addition and subtraction games and open-ended math questions. Perfect for literacy centers and independent work. your students will love this memorable learning experience.
This picture book is an excellent example of the perfect picture book: text and pictures go perfectly together! Could a Caldecott be far behind? I don’t think so! Did you know Ryan T. Higgins has several sequels? You can use the Response Sheets for any of them!
From Amazon: Bruce the bear likes to keep to himself. That, and eat eggs. But when his hard-boiled goose eggs turn out to be real, live goslings, he starts to lose his appetite. And even worse, the goslings are convinced he's their mother. Bruce tries to get the geese to go south, but he can't seem to rid himself of his new companions. What's a bear to do?
- 5 Reading/Writing Responses:
- Prediction/Was it Correct?
- Venn Diagram for this book and a sequel
- Draw Bruce and write 5 descriptive words
- Describe ‘outside” and “inside” of Bruce
- Making Connections
- Identify Genre (How do you know?)
- Author’s Purpose (How do you know?)
- Rate and share opinion of book
- Draw favorite setting
- Author paints a picture in head…
- How does this book make you feel?
- Would you trade places?
- Write Opinion Letter to friends…
- Make a Class Book (Where should Bruce Migrate to? (Cover, dedication, 3 main pages to select from, and final page for you to put a picture of your class! )
- Ryan T. Higgins is…can (after visiting website. Address Provided)
- Mother Bruce is…can…
- Cause/Effect fill in and BLANK TEMPLATE, and POSTER
- My Mother Bruce BOOK IT:
- Oral/Punch Retell OR written retell
- Make-a-Word with bonus page,
- Pick-a-Prompt (Run 2-sided, back paper included)
- ABC Order to first, second, and third letters
- 12 Picture Cards (color only) to sort or READ THE ROOM for identifying if
- words are long or short vowels. Response sheets for both included.
- One blank page for own pics to include on Vowel Sort if needed
- Noun/Verb Sort (Lift the Flap and Glue)
- Chit Chat ORAL Partner Review
- Migration 16 page slideshow with focus on Christmas Island Crabs
- Four Headbands to color and wear.
- (Two of them have short response to write on the front.)
- 2 poems: Hibernation and Winter Friends
- Feed Bruce (adding game with 2 dice.) MY FAVORITE! (Color and BW)
- Migrate South Game (+10, -10) to 100 and to 50
- Double Trouble Game (2 Dice)
- Count the Eggs (easy: two dice: <,>)
- Survey/Data Collection (Kids come up with Yes/No questions)
Have you checked out my Book-Its?
Let's keep in touch!
☀️Visit my blog at FirstGradeBloomabilities
☀️ Follow me on Pinterest
☀️ Follow me on Instagram
☀️ Subscribe to my newsletter FirstGradeBloomabilities and download my FREE 50 Page Bucket Filler Activities now.