PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Mother’s Day and Father’s Day Kit contains nearly 90 pages dedicated to celebrating the important adults in students’ lives. Celebrating Mother's Day and Father’s Day is always difficult in the classroom. Some students have two moms while others have none. Some kids live with Grandma while others live with Dad. How do you honor the important women and men in student's lives while making sure everyone feels included? Here's how I solved the problem with my own students.
I created three projects and students chose the one they thought fit their "mom" or “dad” best and personalized it. Some created two projects, some created three - they were free to choose however many they needed to honor the special women or men in their lives. Gifts were given to mothers, aunts, grandmas, cousins, siblings, neighbors, dads and grandpas. Every student felt included and adults of all kind were celebrated. Win-win for everyone.
Included are three types of projects - certificates that are perfect for younger students, a gift booklet that is great for those who like to write, and a dodecahedron, which is good for those who want to create something with their hands.
1. Gift Booklet. Contains 11 pages of writing prompts and illustration spaces for students to write about the mothers in their lives. To make the booklet more personal (and to avoid the need to copy several versions (aunt, stepmom, grandma, etc.), all of the writing prompts are written directly to the recipient ("I love you because..."rather than "I love my mom because..."). Students can choose which pages they want to include in their booklet, complete the writing prompts, and draw pictures that represent their writing. There are six versions included:
- Half-lined pages with drawing boxes (no additional graphics)
- Half-lined pages with drawing boxes (with floral graphics)
- Half-lined pages with drawing boxes (with tool graphics)
- Fully lined pages (no additional graphics)
- Fully lined pages (with floral graphics)
- Fully lined pages (with tool graphics)
2. Coupon Book. This booklet contains 11 prewritten coupons and three blank forms for students to create their own coupon gifts. Students choose which they would like to give, color and/or add additional messages, cut out, and bind together.
3. 3-D Bloom Ball. Just before Mother’s Day, my class created Bloom’s Balls for the first time. Ever heard of them? It was something I learned about from a former instructional support coach in my building. It’s a multi-sided 3-D figure that students create from paper. Each side represented a different level of Bloom’s Taxonomy focused around one topic. Students LOVED having their work hanging for others to see and I LOVED having decorations that weren’t just “fluff.” It’s a super simple activity that:
- requires students to be reflective
- shows off student work while freeing up your walls for anchor charts
- serves as conversation starters for students and anyone who walks by your room!
My kids loved the project so much that they wanted to use them for our Mother’s Day gifts.
Rather than give directions as to how students had to create their ball, I provided them with blank templates on which they wrote notes and/or illustrated. Many chose to use the prompts from the gift booklet on their shape.
This Mother’s Day and Father’s Day Kit includes directions for creating these balls and blank shape templates. There are six versions included – two sizes each of three different shapes. Because the forms are blank, this project can be used for any holiday or content area project.
So, with this purchase, you’ll have a resource you can reuse all year long!
For similar resources, be sure to see my: Holidays and Seasonal Category.
>Sometimes the process of uploading products changes the colors of images in thumbnails and previews. The actual file is NOT neon.
This product was updated on 5/10/17. If you purchased before this time, please re-download.
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please email me with any questions you have before purchasing. firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products. Subscribe
© 2013 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses at half the original price. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!