Mother’s Day is right around the corner and what better way to celebrate a special mother, stepmother, or grandmother than with her own Mother of the Year magazine cover and article. Inspired by Time Magazine’s Woman of the Year issue, this persuasive writing and art unit teaches students how to systematically write a five-paragraph essay all about the amazing woman we call Mom.
This unit uses components from our Writing Intervention Tools file to systematically guide students through the opinion-writing process and teach critical writing strategies in a child-friendly way.
The Mother of the Year unit centers around our charming book, Hazel Meets the Writing Strategy Friends. Students meet Hazel, an adorable screech owl, who takes a vacation to visit Grandma Hoot. Grandma suggests that Hazel take a hike for writing inspiration and along the way, she meets 10 strategy animals. Students will use these strategy animals to complete the opinion-writing process as outlined in the unit.
This comprehensive unit includes:
• Suggestions for Use (for preparation and instruction)
• Hazel Meets the Writing Strategy Animals book
• Planning, drafting, and publishing templates
• Editing and revision anchor charts
• Hands-on writing tools
• Cover templates for Mother, Step Mother, and Grandmother of the Year and publishing paper
• Grading rubric