"Great geniuses have the shortest biographies." Ralph Waldo Emerson (American essayist ~ 1803 - 1882)
Film-Fragen for ten German or German-related popular movies or documentaries on prominent people who have impacted our world.
Queen Victoria ~ She gave her name to an era.
No, she's not German. But she's half German.
Did you know that Queen Victoria's mother was German ?
That Victoria spoke only German until she was three years old ?
That she and her husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, spoke and wrote to each other in German ?
That they raised their children to speak German ?
The film The Young Victoria
starts with her early life and goes up to her becoming queen and marrying Prince Albert. Victoria is revealed as a feisty young woman who did, indeed, find true love rather than make a marriage of convenience.
Like Schubert ?
Then you'll truly enjoy this film and the beautiful music in it.
Ever heard of Princess Diana ? Then you'll enjoy Sissi Forever My Love
- a film about the Empress Elisabeth of Austria - the Princess Diana of her day. Unfortunately, like Diana, her fairy-tale life was far from happy.
The films included here are:
1. Neiman Marcus: The Last of the Merchant Kings (A+E Biography)
2. Houdini: Unlocking The Mystery (History Channel)
3. Sissi Forever My Love** (Romy Schneider)
4. Beethoven: The Sound And The Fury (A+E Biography)
5. Ringling Brothers (A+E Biography)
6. Woman In Gold** (Helen Mirren)
7. Wolfgang Puck: Recipe For Success** (A+E Biography)
8. The Young Victoria** (Emily Blunt)
9. Bach's Fight For Freedom** (Ted Dykstra)
10. Patton** (George C. Scott)
* Plus Two Bonus Films *
A) Biography: Bobby Fischer
** (A+E Biography available at Wal-Mart)
B) Jesse Owens
** (PBS American Experience Biography available at PBS.org)
He won 4 Gold Medals in track and field at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games and sealed his place in Olympic history at a time when African Americans did not have many advantages.The films with ** have introductory overheads with
background information and/or post-viewing
overheads with follow-up information.
Looking for something special for German-American Day or German-American Week ?
Need something unique for Black History Month ?
Want to energize your class when things seem to be dragging before a holiday break ?
Here's an easy way to do it. Each Film-Fragen sheet has twenty follow-along questions in English that go with the film. These can be used as enrichment to a topic or as a substitute lesson plan (or emergency lesson plan).
Having students select from multiple choice answers allows
more time for their eyes to stay on the film and not spend it looking
down writing out answers and, thus, not miss important
moments in the film.
These films are entertaining and informative, and offer exposure to the contributions German speakers or those of German or Austrian heritage have made throughout history.
For the films indicated, supplementary overheads are included to give background information to be shown before viewing so that students know the facts behind the film & can put it in historical perspective.
are provided for all films. (109 pages)
If you like my products, please follow me by clicking on the little star at the top right under my name. Danke.
* SPECIAL NOTE 1
The biography of the brother and sister, Neiman & Marcus, is available here ~
* Neiman Marcus ~ Last Of The Merchant Kings'
* SPECIAL NOTE 2
Many people have written particularly poignant memoirs, life stories of an era most of us only know from history books or movies. Here are just a few ~
'Boy With A White Flag'
by Karl Heinz Strick
'Once My Name Was Sara'
by Betty Grebenschikoff
'The Hitler Years Through The Eyes Of A Child'
by Charlotte Self
'Why Can't Somebody Just Die Around Here?'
by Gerhard Maroscher
'After The Bombs: My Berlin ~ Memories of Post-World War II Berlin'
by Heidemarie Sieg
'Displaced Persons: An Immigrant Journey To America'
by Richard E. Fuerth
'We Got The Water: Tracing My Family's Path Through Auschwitz'
by Jill Gabrielle Klein
'Laughter Wasn't Rationed: A Personal Journey Through Germany's World Wars and Postwar Years'
by Dorothea von Schwanenflügel Lawson
'A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz As A Young Boy'
by Thomas Buergenthal
'Escape From East Berlin: An American Tale'
by Annemarie Struwe Cronin
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If you're looking for more ready-to-use resources, you may be interested in these other items in my store:
* Sub * Pac For German Class ~ Set 1
* Sub * Pac For German Class ~ Set 2
* SINGLE SUB PLANS NOW AVAILABLE *
. . Look for the brown polka dot cover . .
* Single Sub * Plan 1 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 2 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 3 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 4 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 5 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 6 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 7 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 8 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 9 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 10 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 11 For German.. Ooh La La ! ..
.. Interesting French words used in German. ..
Prefer a savings ?* German * Class Bundle ~ $7.00 for 7 ready-to-use resources
* German Culture * Bundle* Wish * List Bundle For Vanessa
.. Available to any other German teacher, too. Quite a savings with over 500 pages. ..
* Wish * List Bundle For Barbara
.. Also available to any other German teacher. More savings with over 600 pages. ..
* Composers' Specials Bundle ~ Bach Bizet Handel Liszt Rossini Strauss Beethoven* World War I ~ The Great War Centennial BundleOr want to create your own ?* Wish * List BundleSpecial Back-to-School Activities & Review Resources
* Back-To-School Review * Pac For German
* Tissue * Box Project For German Class .. A great back-to-school review project. ..
* Die Schultüte For German * Class
* A Light History Of The English Language For German Class* The Color * Game For German Class .. Vorsicht. This can get pretty exciting ! ..
* The Use of du * ihr * Sie in German
* Telling Time * Pac For German Class
* Das Perfekt * Pac ~ Activities For German Class
* Menu * Project For German Class.. Great back-to-school activity for level 2. This makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work for Open House night. ..
* The Two * Way Preposition Pac For German
* Wordle Activity * Pac For German .. Be prepared for Excitement with a capital 'E' ! ..
* Practice * Pac ~ wissen und kennen
* Using An Online German-English Dictionary
Customs & Life in Germany
* Das Namensrecht * The German Naming Laws
.. Nice initial introduction to a cultural difference for the start of school. ..
* The School * Pac For German
* Toi toi toi * And Other Customs In Germany
* Der Knigge ~ Manners Still Matter
* Wedding * Customs In Germany .. Fun to talk about right before Valentinstag. ..
* Food * Customs And Dining In Germany
* The Autobahn And Driving In Germany
* The Post * Pac For German Class
* Let's Talk Business: In German .. Perfect, too, for after the AP Exam. ..
* German-American Day * Famous People .. For October 6th ~ German-American Day. ..
* German-American Day Activities * Pac .. For October 6th ~ Easy activities to make this day special. ..
* Mamie Eisenhower * Think Pink.. It's free. .. Learn more about the seldom-talked-about wife of one of our most famous German-Americans, President Dwight D. Eisenhower. .. One teacher said:
"I love, love, love this ! It was so interesting and fun to share with my class !" ..
* November 1st * Tombstone Project For German.. Nice for Allerheiligen. ..
* The Christmas * Pac For German Class* Nikolaustag * Pac For German* German Christmas With Rick Steves* Burt Wolf * Christmas In Vienna
* Faschingsmasken For German Class* Valentinstag ♥ Pac For German Class
* Valentinstag ♥ Carte For German Class* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 1 .. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday. ..
* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 2 .. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday. This was such a hit in German 1, my students made me make a German 2 version. ..
* Mother's Day Project * Pac For German.. Perfect for Muttertag im Mai. ..
Assessments & Projects & Activities
* Final * Exam For German 1
* Final * Exam For German 2
* Final * Exam For German 3
* Komm mit Level 1 ~ Video * Pac
* Komm mit Level 2 ~ Video * Pac* Lotto * Pac For German .. Review more than just numbers with this fun way to reinforce vocabulary, too. ..
* Proverb * Pac For German Class
* Card Game * Pac For German Class
* Schokoladen * Fest For German Class
* Geography * Pac For German Class
* Schattenbilder * Silhouettes For German Class
* Rorschach * Inkblot Activity For German Class
* The Doctor * Is In For German Class
* The Extra Credit Word * Pac For German
* Food * Activity ~ Pass The Plate For German Class
* Bulletin * Board Bonanza For German Teachers
* Coat of Arms Project * For German Class* The Weather * Pac For German
* The Calendar Activities * Pac For German Class
* Photo Scavenger * Hunt For German Class.. Perfect for after the AP German Exam or for upper level students. ..
* Battleship * Pac For German .. Good oral practice of verb tenses. ..
* ABC-Büchlein For German .. Need a recruiting tool ? Try this. ..
* Monster * Project For German Class* Chutes & Ladders Verb * Project For German Class* Country Map * Project For German Class.. Easy for German 1 and makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work. ..
* Fun End-Of-Year Awards For German Class .. Nice way to end the year. ..
* End-of-Year Review * Activities For German
* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 1* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 2* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 3* Household * Chores Activities For German
* Relative Pronoun * Activity For German
* Verb Activity * Pac For German
* Word Wise Vocab * Pac For German .. Nice for enlarging the vocabulary of your AP German students. ..
* Dative * Case Activities For GermanGreat Films & Documentaries
* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 1* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 2* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 3* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 4 ~ Biographies* Feature * Film ~ Nordwand (North Face) .. You'll be on the edge of your seat till the very end ! ..
* Feature * Film ~ Woman In Gold
* Feature * Film ~ Race .. Nicely done bio-pic for Black History Month. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Jesse Owens - American Experience .. An interesting documentary. Perfect link between German and Black History Month. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Bella Martha Mostly Martha .. Sweet film. Fits in nicely with a food unit. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Rosenstraße* Feature * Film ~ Joyeux Noël Merry Christmas
* Feature * Film ~ Marx & Coca Cola .. A delightful film about post-Reunification hurdles. ..
* Rick Steves * Germany Benelux & More* Feature * Film ~ Swing Kids
* Burt Wolf ~ Ticino, Switzerland
* Feature * Film ~ Seven Years In Tibet
* Feature * Film ~ Sissi Forever My Love
* Feature * Film ~ The Young Victoria
* Feature * Film ~ Amadeus
* Rick Steves ~ Berlin, Germany
* Feature * Film ~ The Sound of Music
* Feature * Film ~ Vitus .. Good way to touch upon German-speaking Switzerland. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Bach's Fight For Freedom
* Feature * Film ~ Handel's Last Chance* Feature * Film ~ Bridge of Spies* Feature * Film ~ Das schreckliche Mädchen ~ The Nasty Girl
* Feature * Film ~ Das Wunder von Bern* Feature * Film ~ Die weiße Rose ~ The White Rose* Feature * Film ~ Einstein's Wife* Feature * Film ~ Influenza 1918* Feature * Film ~ Lola rennt ~ Run, Lola, Run* Feature * Film ~ Night Crossing .. Da sitzen Sie auf heißen Kohlen bis zum Ende ! ..
* Feature * Film ~ The Berlin Wall ~ Modern Marvels* Feature * Film ~ The Candy Bomber* Feature * Film ~ The Monuments Men* Feature * Film ~ The Rise and Fall of the Wall* Feature * Film ~ Valkyrie* Rick Steves * Austria & The Alps* Feature * Film ~ Patton* Feature * Film ~ Heidi* Feature * Film ~ War Horse* Feature * Film ~ Nowitzki: The Perfect Shot* Rick Steves ~ Luther and The Reformation* Feature * Film ~ The Great War Christmas Truce
* Feature * Film ~ Strauss: The King of Three Quarter Time
* Feature * Film ~ Liszt's Rhapsody
* Feature * Film ~ Beethoven Lives Upstairs
* Feature * Film ~ The Zookeeper's Wife
* Feature * Film ~ The Lost Battalion
* Feature * Film ~ All Quiet On The Western Front
* Rick * Steves ~ Dresden and Leipzig
* Feature * Film ~ The King's Speech
.. Wondering about the Royal Family's German connection ?
.. It's explained in the accompanying overhead. ..
* Burt Wolf ~ What's Cooking In Switzerland
Other Ready-to-Use Resources
* Flashback * Pac Grammar Review For Students of French, German, Italian, Spanish
* The Traveler's * Ten Commandments For FL Students .. It's free. ..
* Alphabet Games * Pac For French, German, Italian, Spanish
* Valentine's Day ♥ Trivia Game For French, German, Italian, Spanish.. Perfect fun activity in February for your German Club. ..
* Eponym Activity For French, German, Italian, Spanish .. Works well as a sub plan, too. ..
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* TEACHER TIP *
Did you know that you can earn feedback credits each time you
give a comment on a product you have purchased ?
It's easy to do.
Just go to www.TeachersPayTeachers.com and login, then click on ~
* My TpT (at the top right)
* My Purchases ~ find the appropriate title from the list
* Provide Feedback (under the product title and author's name)
and continue from there.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
KEYWORDS Holocaust memoirs / World War II / Allied Generals / Austro-Hungarian Empire / 1936 Berlin Olympics / Chess championships / Cold War / The British Empire / Classical music / Celebrity chefs / The Victorian Era / World War Ii memoirs / Ausgetrieben nach dem Krieg / Flüchtlinge / Überleben nach dem Krieg / Flucht aus der DDR / Nachkriegsleben