This is a 5-8 day unit for French Classes using the Movie Talk technique. If you aren't familiar with Movie Talk, this would be a great one to start with, because I've taken the time to explain everything very thoroughly.
It is based on the short video called "The Final Straw". I have not included the video here for copyright reasons, but it is readily available on YouTube and other sites. You can use a free service like www.keepvid.com to save it to your hard drive, a flash drive or the cloud..
In this unit I've decided to target the use of "Il doit" and "Il faut" and the subjunctive tense. This isn't a unit that will teach and review it very thoroughly, but more of an introduction / review unit. I've also used the past tense in all levels .
You will get five files which I've described here. This will take you 5-7 55 minute class periods to complete. There are a total of 39 pages of text (MIcrosoft Word) and 40 PowerPoint slides.
- The first file is 3 pages of teacher notes for five pages of teaching. This includes suggested discussions and suggested homework activities.It also includes how to use the Power Point, and how to circle and use personal questions and answers.
- The next file is called Action guide and worksheets. The action guide (my term) is a blow-by-blow description in English of the video for your own use, or for you to share with Spanish or other FL teachers at your school so that they can make similar files for their own classes. There are four worksheets. Each worksheet has 3 different versions. (French I, French II, French III/IV). Worksheet A has vocabulary and the basic story of the video. It is told in present tense for French I and French II, and in past tense for French III/IV. Worksheet B is work on "il faut" and "il doit". For French I is is an introduction and is in the present tense, very basic. For French II, it is more an introduction to the subjunctive with "il faut que", but still pretty basic. French III / IV is more sophisticated and detailed. Worksheet C in all three levels is a review of the story (not the complete story, but most of it) in the past tense. There are pop-up grammar questions on the side. In French I / II, students are also asked to identify which sentences are in the present, and which in the past. In French III/IV they are asked to identify which tense is being used (Passé composé vs, l'imparfait) and tell WHY that tense is being used. Worksheet D is a scaffolded story (more detailed, reworded) at the appropriate level, and students are asked to demonstrate their understanding by drawing what is happening in various sentences.
- The next file is simply screenshots I took from the video. You may use them how you want to make your own quizzes, worksheets, tests, or to share with other FL colleagues.
- The fourth file is Quizzes and Tests. There are 17 pages. There are the three levels of V/F 10-point quizzes, (on half-sheet formats), three levels of "fill in the blank" 15-point verb quizzes, and three levels of the 35-45 point tests. The tests are matching the screenshots to sentences about the story, and also filling in the blank on some of the sentences. You can use any, all, or none of these quizzes and tests as you decide. I made them all out to have available for my own needs. Because my needs change with each class, I wanted to have a variety of assessment options. Answer keys are included.
- The last file is a Power Point of the video. There are 40 slides of screen shots with "hint" words so that students will be able to try to tell the story from the screen shots. This also gives them practice for the same screen shots used on the test.