Mr. Gumpy's Outing by John Burningham is a wonderful book that tells the story of Mr. Gumpy, who takes a boat ride down the river. One by one, others come and ask to join him. The passengers don't listen to their warnings, so a ruckus ensues, tipping everyone into the river! This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities and games to target listening, language and literacy! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Sequencing with Pictures (which is also a great retelling tool!)-- Two levels are included, level one with just characters and level two with scenes. Also included is a black & white make and take page!
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Spatial Concepts- Describe where Mr. Gumpy is in the given picture
4. Rhyme Sort- Sort pictures with like rhymes
5. Absurdities- Repeat sentences, correcting the absurdity
6. Mr. Gumpy's Book Hunt- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!
Please note: The book is not included with this unit and must be purchased separately.